Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nuke your laf partition for a way to get into fastboot via the button combination

Tip us?

JackpotClavin
Old
(Last edited by JackpotClavin; 29th June 2014 at 08:05 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2397

DONATE TO ME
Default Nuke your laf partition for a way to get into fastboot via the button combination

Note 1: This is probably only aimed at developers
Note 2: I have done this with my VS980 with the 12B aboot and it works as intended, but I cannot say for sure if every G2 variant is like this!

The partition /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf is LG's special partition for restoring the device to factory state with the Windows recovery tool. Upon further inspection of this partition, it's just a normal boot image, with a kernel and ramdisk like every boot/recovery image.

Unfortunately, LG decided to remove ways to get into fastboot, and the only way to get into fastboot is to nuke your boot or recovery partition, so that aboot will search for a kernel and when it doesn't find one, it will boot into fastboot. So I got the idea that since the laf partition is just a normal partition to boot kernels from, why not run the command

Code:
Select Code
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
Which will make aboot fail when attempting to boot from the laf partition, and set the boot_into_fastboot variable to true, and boot into fastboot!

I hope this helps somebody fastboot flash a recovery instead of using LG's proprietary service, which wipes your internal storage on restoration.

Also, I tried installing a non-lokified custom boot image to the laf partition, it still fails with a secure booting error, so aboot checks the laf partition for a signing key :/ but yay, fastboot!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JackpotClavin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agentfusion
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Good God I wish I had seen this a week ago. Because of that stupid partition, I've been without a phone for almost a week. I'm in a state where I can't get past initializing download mode, loading recovery mode, and the LG logo. If I could get to fastboot I'd be set. Instead, now I'm waiting for my replacement phone to come in and have been since Tuesday night (it comes in tomorrow at 2pm EST)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Motorola StarTac->Panasonic GD30->Motorola C116->Sony Ericsson Z310->HTC Wizard->Samsung Blackjack->BlackBerry Curve 8310->BlackBerry Bold 9000->HTC Kaiser->Samsung Blackjack 2->HTC Dream->HTC Rhodium->HTC Aria->Samsung Captivate->iPhone 3GS->HTC Vivid->SGS3-> LG G2
Over 20 years of Cellphones, and I found a way to modify every single one!
LG G2
ROM: d3rp-g2 bareback m1
Carrier: Sprint
Amazon Kindle Fire 2
ROM: CM11

JackpotClavin
Old
Thanks Meter 2397

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfusion View Post
Good God I wish I had seen this a week ago. Because of that stupid partition, I've been without a phone for almost a week. I'm in a state where I can't get past initializing download mode, loading recovery mode, and the LG logo. If I could get to fastboot I'd be set. Instead, now I'm waiting for my replacement phone to come in and have been since Tuesday night (it comes in tomorrow at 2pm EST)

Wow that's not good. Care to share how you got yourself into that situation? Was it because of the 12B aboot?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

savoca
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackpotClavin View Post
Wow that's not good. Care to share how you got yourself into that situation? Was it because of the 12B aboot?

The ZVC aboot can be downgraded to ZV7 for loki support, but it breaks download mode, and just keeps loading forever.

Somehow, he lost recovery and boot, on top of a ZVC laf on downgraded aboot.

A few people got into this situation before we just started downgrading our laf partitions.

JackpotClavin
Old
Thanks Meter 2397

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoca View Post
The ZVC aboot can be downgraded to ZV7 for loki support, but it breaks download mode, and just keeps loading forever.

Somehow, he lost recovery and boot, on top of a ZVC laf on downgraded aboot.

A few people got into this situation before we just started downgrading our laf partitions.
Oh man I think that's 100% unrecoverable. Unless there's a certain cable or button combo we don't know about that can put the device in qhsusb_bulk mode where the partitions are listed in /dev/sd* I think it's hosed.

savoca
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Oh man I think that's 100% unrecoverable. Unless there's a certain cable or button combo we don't know about that can put the device in qhsusb_bulk mode where the partitions are listed in /dev/sd* I think it's hosed.

Only way to force bulk mode afaik is this guy. http://downloads.codefi.re/savoca/autoboot/autobulk.zip But I can only confirm for ls980.

agentfusion
Old
Thanks Meter 91
I haven't found any way to do anything with it at all, really. No bulk, nada. No boot, no recovery, no download mode, no adb, no bulk, not a single thing. LG is going to have a blast JTAG'ing this brick when they get it back.

Luckily, Sprint replaces phones with software issues for $75, or free if you have the repair service add-on/insurance. It's not same day replacement though. Mine died Tuesday night and I get my new one in twelve more hours.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoca View Post
Only way to force bulk mode afaik is this guy. http://downloads.codefi.re/savoca/autoboot/autobulk.zip But I can only confirm for ls980.
Savoca ...as usual, you're my hero. I'm keeping that zip handy in case I get ready to do ANYTHING that could result in a hard brick. Bulk, download or fastboot mode would solve all of my problems right now, so for my replacement phone I intend to have at least two of those three options open any time I'm doing something risky.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote:

Without some sort of software flashed beforehand that forces fastboot in place of download mode, or bulk always on, it's totally unrecoverable.

My primary mistake in all of this was one terrible assumption: I assumed that since the G2 is internally almost the exact same phone as the nexus 5 that there would be some way to get to fastboot mode even if recovery and download mode were both hosed. LG proved me wrong. Very wrong. I even tried applying various resistors to the charging pins hoping I'd find a fastboot combo ala Samsung's USB jig. No dice.

Motorola StarTac->Panasonic GD30->Motorola C116->Sony Ericsson Z310->HTC Wizard->Samsung Blackjack->BlackBerry Curve 8310->BlackBerry Bold 9000->HTC Kaiser->Samsung Blackjack 2->HTC Dream->HTC Rhodium->HTC Aria->Samsung Captivate->iPhone 3GS->HTC Vivid->SGS3-> LG G2
Over 20 years of Cellphones, and I found a way to modify every single one!
LG G2
ROM: d3rp-g2 bareback m1
Carrier: Sprint
Amazon Kindle Fire 2
ROM: CM11

nismology
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Wow good find. I was looking for a way to reliably do this about a month ago.

elfarto
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Is this just for V980 or will it work for other models (D802 ?)
#####################################
Nexus 5 / SlimKat / Bricked Kernel / PA Gapps
LG G2 D806 Cloudy G3
Nexus 4 / SlimBean (Sold)
Galaxy Nexus (Sold)
Asus Transformer Prime TF201

btm fdr
Old
Thanks Meter 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfarto View Post
Is this just for V980 or will it work for other models (D802 ?)
Read Note 2 in the OP..

Sent from my LG-D800
PHN LG G2
ROM Mahdi
KRN Stock
RCV dr87 TWRP

Tags
brick, developer, fastboot, lgg2, restore