Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] N00B S-Off/Unlock Root questions

OP sean67854

7th April 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

76 posts
I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:
  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?
7th April 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #2  
Flag Holland, PA/Lake Ariel, PA
Thanks Meter: 335

950 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854

I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:

• Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?

I would never take an OTA but I don't think it can change your status back to S-On

Just Google "S-Off Explained" but here is in xda link on the subject---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=1

I also advise if you're new at this to read all you can before flashing anything. You can brick your device more easily with Security Off.
7th April 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 252

1,278 posts
More
Quote:

My questions are:

s-off by itself wont, OTA afaik won't touch s-off status. It requires stock recovery though, you are honestly better off just waiting for custom roms to come out with these changes. S-off literally means the phone does not care what you do to it anymore.
7th April 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #4  
Flag Bozeman
Thanks Meter: 98

311 posts
More
Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread but:
Another noob so S-Off and HTC devices here: When I try to push firewater I get this: cannot stat 'firewater' : No such file or directory. If su is required for this step why is this step listed before su?
adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater
Last edited by schnob; 7th April 2014 at 02:03 AM.
7th April 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

76 posts
I usually don't do much to my phones until they are quite old/out of support. The only thing I really need is WiFi tether and that has been solved even without S-Off.

Thank you for the link, after reading that, I guess I did understand what S-Off in and of itself was, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to a bootloader unlock.

My most recent experiences are with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, neither of which had security and only needed a simple adb command to unlock the bootloader.

Does S-OFF in general, and also for the M8 specifically, require you to do anything further? Can I do S-Off when I get the M8 and then just leave it totally stock after that?

Does running the S-Off exploit wipe your handset like unlocking the bootloader on my Nexuses (Nexi?) does?
7th April 2014, 02:00 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 448

2,367 posts
More
Quote:

I usually don't do much to my phones until they are quite old/out of support. The only thing I really need is WiFi tether and that has been solved even without S-Off.

Thank you for the link, after reading that, I guess I did understand what S-Off in and of itself was, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to a bootloader unlock.

My most recent experiences are with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, neither of which had security and only needed a simple adb command to unlock the bootloader.

Does S-OFF in general, and also for the M8 specifically, require you to do anything further? Can I do S-Off when I get the M8 and then just leave it totally stock after that?

Does running the S-Off exploit wipe your handset like unlocking the bootloader on my Nexuses (Nexi?) does?

no will not wipe and yes you can do s-off and leave totally stock
7th April 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #7  
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 17

99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnob

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread but:
Another noob so S-Off and HTC devices here: When I try to push firewater I get this: cannot stat 'firewater' : No such file or directory. If su is required for this step why is this step listed before su?
adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater

put firewater in your adb directory or add the path to the command adb wait-for-device push C:\users\username\Downloads\firewater /data/local/tmp
The Following User Says Thank You to mopperx2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 147

558 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopperx2

put firewater in your adb directory or add the path to the command adb wait-for-device push C:\users\username\Downloads\firewater /data/local/tmp

You also either need to rename your downloaded file to firewater or type the entire file name

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th April 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 17

97 posts
anyone have time to walk me through this on the phone pm me , i have sdk installed , drivers installed , firewater downloaded and dont have a clue how to use adb lol
7th April 2014, 02:29 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 58

615 posts
So after achieving S-OFF, do we remove weaksauce now?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread