Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,512 Members 42,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Locked bootloader , can i downgrade to root.

Tip us?

sorvis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Lightbulb [Q] Locked bootloader , can i downgrade to root.

i recently bought a bell xperia z1, went on to the sony website to unlock bootloader to find that mine is locked, unlike the international version which has an unlockable bootloader.

ive updated it to see if the updates would unlock the bootloader but alas they did not, now im running :

model c6906
android 4.3
build 14.2.A.0.209

Main question :
Will i be able to downgrade and bypass the bootloader?
ive rooted a S2/Htc HD/ Desire Z in the past im just worrying about bricking my phone that ive had for less then a week.

and all other guides ive seen are for different versions, ive heard of flashing the 6903 stuff but that makes me worry way to much.

so pretty much want to know is it possible to do via downgrade to achieve root or should i just wait till a safer method becomes available.

sony bloatware is annoying

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Yes, you can get C6906 Rooted with Locked Bootlader. First you have Read a bit more about it, starting with this thread and also watch the Video Tutorial.

You have to use Flashtool v0.9.15 to downgrade to .534 using Rogers FTF for your model from here.

When you are on 4.2.2 FW .534 Root it with Bin4ry Method, then Install Dualrecovery, SuperSU and Upgrade to your favorite latest Android Pre-Rooted, like KitKat Here or JB 4.3 Here.

Done.

Good Luck!
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sorvis
Old
(Last edited by sorvis; 6th April 2014 at 08:15 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
you sir are the man, followed the video and got root, now to find a rom to use.

edit : went to install a rom + gapps and had to do the whole process over again. right from flashing nuts custom. got stuck in a sony logo boot loop. zz

so attempt #2 with a different rom.

edit 2: was able to update to 4.4 kitkat so now i hope i can update my rom. since i was trying to do a 4.4 rom on the 4.3 firmware ?

edit3: nope stuck on sony logo so went back to nuts again... hrmm well atleast i could upate to 4.4 going to try boot to cwm and see if that works

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Before I flashed mine I was reading for weeks, You did in few hours and I think to quickly. If the phone stuck in Boot logo, I think you did something wrong but I don't have the phone with me so I cannot tell.

Now you have to go back to stock, keep pushing Volume UP and Power, 3 vibrations, phone in off, keep pushing volume down and connect to pc in flashmode, flash a Stock FTF for your model from the link I give you. Now you phone should boot. Repeat the process to get Root and be careful.

Remember to Wipe Data, Appslog, Cache, every time you flash a Fresh Installation is recommended.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
keep pushing volume down and connect to pc in flashmode, flash a Stock FTF for your model from the link I give you. .
You should not connect the phone to the PC until the PC prompts you after flashtool has prepared the files for flashing

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

XperienceD
Old
Thanks Meter 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvis View Post
since i was trying to do a 4.4 rom on the 4.3 firmware ?
4.4 will need a 4.4 kernel.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You should not connect the phone to the PC until the PC prompts you after flashtool has prepared the files for flashing
Ok, that is why I saw in Flashtool Disconnect and Connect my device few times but never had a problem. Good to know.

sorvis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
i was able to go back and use flash tool to flash nut's ftf

so im on 4.4 kitkat rooted which is good.

but when i flash any custom rom trough any recovery it boot loops im guessing its because locked bootloader.

so im guessing any rom i want to flash has to have 2 parts. The flashing process in recovery and the flashtool flash firmware for that rom.

unless like you said update my kernal