Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,630 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cast a live YouTube stream from a PC but not an android phone?

Tip us?

kafarnsworth
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Cast a live YouTube stream from a PC but not an android phone?

Today I was trying to watch a live YouTube stream from my phone. I got the message that live streams were not permitted on my Chromecast.

I then tried casting the same stream from my desktop. It worked. To verify that I wasn't just casting a chrome tab, I closed all of the chrome windows. The stream kept working.

I also tried casting the stream from chrome beta for android. I didn't get an error, but the casting didn't work. I just got a black screen on the phone and a YouTube screen on the TV.

Is there a way around this restriction? Can I cast a live feed from my android phone to my Chromecast?

Thanks,

Ken F

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 753

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafarnsworth View Post
Today I was trying to watch a live YouTube stream from my phone. I got the message that live streams were not permitted on my Chromecast.

I then tried casting the same stream from my desktop. It worked. To verify that I wasn't just casting a chrome tab, I closed all of the chrome windows. The stream kept working.

I also tried casting the stream from chrome beta for android. I didn't get an error, but the casting didn't work. I just got a black screen on the phone and a YouTube screen on the TV.

Is there a way around this restriction? Can I cast a live feed from my android phone to my Chromecast?
Being that live streams aren't supposed to work, either you got lucky, or they're working on it.
Not much you can do but wait to see if YouTube updates its info and/or capabilities.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

primetime34
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Live streams work for me from my laptop but not from my phone as well. I don't think it's a mistake, I just don't think the mobile app has added that feature yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to primetime34 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikemelbrooks
Old
Thanks Meter 0
As I understand it the chromecast doesnt render the video but connects to youtube and plays a specially renderd version for the chrome cast, I guess this is not available live. When you cast from a pc the pc renders the video for you.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 245
YouTube added this support on the Website just recently.....
Coming to an Android App near you at some point!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04...top-right-now/

Private Videos too!
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04...he-chromecast/
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 600
Looks like the next Android and iOS will remove the live limitation to casting. They may be beta testing it by only offering it on the website for the moment.

atdmobile.world
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I think u should remove it, maybe it is beta?