Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,988 Members 55,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] N00B S-Off/Unlock Root questions

Tip us?
 
sean67854
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 70
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default [Q] N00B S-Off/Unlock Root questions

I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:
  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?
 
Mike02z
Old
#2  
Mike02z's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 325
Posts: 876
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: To Hell and Back
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:
  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?
I would never take an OTA but I don't think it can change your status back to S-On

Just Google "S-Off Explained" but here is in xda link on the subject---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=1

I also advise if you're new at this to read all you can before flashing anything. You can brick your device more easily with Security Off.
HTC One (M8)
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 P900
Microsoft Surface Pro 128
 
123421342
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 243
Posts: 1,228
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:
  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?
s-off by itself wont, OTA afaik won't touch s-off status. It requires stock recovery though, you are honestly better off just waiting for custom roms to come out with these changes. S-off literally means the phone does not care what you do to it anymore.
 
schnob
Old
(Last edited by schnob; 7th April 2014 at 01:03 AM.)
#4  
schnob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 256
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bozeman
Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread but:
Another noob so S-Off and HTC devices here: When I try to push firewater I get this: cannot stat 'firewater' : No such file or directory. If su is required for this step why is this step listed before su?
adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater
 
sean67854
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 70
Join Date: Mar 2013
I usually don't do much to my phones until they are quite old/out of support. The only thing I really need is WiFi tether and that has been solved even without S-Off.

Thank you for the link, after reading that, I guess I did understand what S-Off in and of itself was, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to a bootloader unlock.

My most recent experiences are with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, neither of which had security and only needed a simple adb command to unlock the bootloader.

Does S-OFF in general, and also for the M8 specifically, require you to do anything further? Can I do S-Off when I get the M8 and then just leave it totally stock after that?

Does running the S-Off exploit wipe your handset like unlocking the bootloader on my Nexuses (Nexi?) does?
 
oneandroidnut
Old
#6  
oneandroidnut's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 355
Posts: 1,857
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I usually don't do much to my phones until they are quite old/out of support. The only thing I really need is WiFi tether and that has been solved even without S-Off.

Thank you for the link, after reading that, I guess I did understand what S-Off in and of itself was, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to a bootloader unlock.

My most recent experiences are with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, neither of which had security and only needed a simple adb command to unlock the bootloader.

Does S-OFF in general, and also for the M8 specifically, require you to do anything further? Can I do S-Off when I get the M8 and then just leave it totally stock after that?

Does running the S-Off exploit wipe your handset like unlocking the bootloader on my Nexuses (Nexi?) does?
no will not wipe and yes you can do s-off and leave totally stock
Currents:
Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition FOR SALE---------> http://swappa.com/listing/VQV625/view
LG G3
Sold:
OnePlus One 64 GB, HTC One M8, HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X
 
mopperx2
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 90
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnob View Post
Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread but:
Another noob so S-Off and HTC devices here: When I try to push firewater I get this: cannot stat 'firewater' : No such file or directory. If su is required for this step why is this step listed before su?
adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater
put firewater in your adb directory or add the path to the command adb wait-for-device push C:\users\username\Downloads\firewater /data/local/tmp
im on twitter @mopperx2
The Following User Says Thank You to mopperx2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
BladeRunner
Old
#8  
BladeRunner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 98
Posts: 427
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopperx2 View Post
put firewater in your adb directory or add the path to the command adb wait-for-device push C:\users\username\Downloads\firewater /data/local/tmp
You also either need to rename your downloaded file to firewater or type the entire file name

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
commandocon
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 75
Join Date: Mar 2014
anyone have time to walk me through this on the phone pm me , i have sdk installed , drivers installed , firewater downloaded and dont have a clue how to use adb lol
 
steelersmb
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 591
Join Date: Aug 2010
So after achieving S-OFF, do we remove weaksauce now?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes