Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Custom quick nav icons

OP nmyshkin

16th February 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

130 posts
In the past two weeks or so I've tried every method I could find on XDA and elsewhere to modify app icons and names so I could customize my quick nav buttons and make them a unified set after using Nook Touch Mod Manager to assign different apps to them (I know...picky, picky, picky).

Clearly some people have done this. I have not. Can someone who has done it point me in the direction of a tutorial that really works for a noob? I'm trying to change icons and names for market apps, not system apps.
16th February 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #2  
Flag West Haven
Thanks Meter: 32

155 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have you tried apk edit? If not look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890199
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
16th February 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

130 posts
I did. In various versions. It either ran continuously (with ADW or GMail apps, for example) or crashed on applying changes (with Opera Mobile, for example). I do have Java (v. 7) and .NET framework (4) installed. Unless I have to roll back to .NET 3.5, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The other thing that occurs to me with APK Edit on re-reading that post is that it seems to assume a real communication to root via USB. Plugging in the Nook ST to my computer probably doesn't supply that kind of access. And I haven't gone through the trial of setting up ADB because I've never had any use for it. If I thought that would help, I'd struggle through that.
Last edited by nmyshkin; 16th February 2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: afterthought on APK Edit
6th April 2014, 12:55 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

130 posts
[SOLVED!]
Victory! After being emboldened by successfully modifying the menu background tones in framework-res.apk (thanks to mergen3107 here--post 23) I finally began to understand the post by ladykayaker here--post 83) and...

Ta-da!

Even better, they work
6th April 2014, 10:10 AM   |  #5  
Flag Astana
Thanks Meter: 5

125 posts
More
nmyshkin
Wow! That looks very awesome! Accidentally I have installed this tweaker app too.
How did you managed to have the renamed labels of the same font and weight? I mean, for example, mine - 'App Launcher' renamed to 'apps' looks a bit lighter and of the different font.
6th April 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

130 posts
Thanks I never would have gotten there if you hadn't helped me with getting the modded framework file back onto the Nook.

When you told me the screen font for the quicknav button icons I looked through my store of fonts and the closest thing I had was Gill Sans MT. To my eye it didn't look quite right. So I kept a stock icon in my editor all the time, side-by-side with the one I was altering. The stock font was a little taller it seemed to me. I ended up using 16 pt. but it still was not quite right, so in the end I replaced the label in the library icon (which is otherwise unchanged) so that everything would match--that was the whole idea to begin with anyway!

I tried to keep things generic enough so that even if I change apps in the background (like I just changed from the frequently malfunctioning GMail to Email) all I have to do is edit settings.db instead of creating a new quicknav icon.

Hmm....maybe that globe need to come down just a tad......
The Following User Says Thank You to nmyshkin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #7  
Flag Astana
Thanks Meter: 5

125 posts
More
OK, thanks for explanation

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread