[Q] School WiFi issues

Search This thread

aznsensazn29

Jan 12, 2013
Hi, first of all, I have no idea where I am supposed to post this.

Anyway, I have a Nexus 7 FHD, and have been using it at school. My school has its own wifi, and I used to be able to connect to it perfectly fine, as I knew the password. It doesn't have any of that wifi login stuff. Recently, however, I think I've been blocked or something from it. I go to WiFi settings, and then my N7 sees the network. I know I have the correct password as my phone (d2vzw) can still connect to it. I click on it to connect, and then the network says connecting... but then after a while it goes back to the Saved, Secured with ... etc. This has been bothering me a lot, as I often need to research topics at school. I've tried spoofing my MAC address, but I don't think it works. If somebody could please help me solve this issue, it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.- My friend also had this issue, and he's more tech savvy than I am. He was also blocked on his N7 (first gen) and tried changing his device name and mac, but I'm not sure either of us actually spoofed our mac addresses. The first time, both of us were blocked. Then, the wifi crashed, and we both regained access. Now, only I'm blocked, and then only reason I can think of for actually being blocked is attempting to start up orbot... which incidentally failed. Please help! Thanks!

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
The proper course of action would be to contact your network's admin and request that you be unblocked and take the lumps that come with the actions that caused you to be blocked. Trust me when I say that most system and network admins look very negatively on attempts to get around the security. (you'll only be digging your hole deeper)

Not all admins are the same but I base my opinion on my experiences as a network admin on a .mil network for 7 years :) YMMV but I know the mentality intimately.

Reactions: aznsensazn29

tni.andro

May 30, 2013
You could use Bluetooth tethering to share the phones WIFI connection with the N7. Use the phone for the WIFI connection and then enable Bluetooth tethering. (If you don't know how, google 'android bluetooth tethering'.)

BTW, the DHCP requests on the WIFI to get your IP address contain a hostname besides the MAC address. You can change that using an adb shell or root terminal and running:
setprop net.hostname HOST_NAME_YOU_WANT

Last edited:
Reactions: aznsensazn29

aznsensazn29

Jan 12, 2013
The proper course of action would be to contact your network's admin and request that you be unblocked and take the lumps that come with the actions that caused you to be blocked. Trust me when I say that most system and network admins look very negatively on attempts to get around the security. (you'll only be digging your hole deeper)

Not all admins are the same but I base my opinion on my experiences as a network admin on a .mil network for 7 years :) YMMV but I know the mentality intimately.

Thanks for the advice! But the thing is, I don't think students are supposed to be on the WiFi anyway lol. Someone found out the password, and now I guess close to 97% of the student body uses the WiFi. The teachers definitely know, but they haven't taken any action, so who knows. Anyway, I don't know who the admin is or have any clue how to contact him... soooo I'm out of luck haha.

You could use Bluetooth tethering to share the phones WIFI connection with the N7. Use the phone for the WIFI connection and then enable Bluetooth tethering. (If you don't know how, google 'android bluetooth tethering'.)

BTW, the DHCP requests on the WIFI to get your IP address contain a hostname besides the MAC address. You can change that using an adb shell or root terminal and running:

Hm, this sounds pretty interesting. Could you explain a little more in depth? or point me to a website or whatnot? That would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not that knowledgeable in the networking area. Would this "fix" be reversible?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.