5,814,797 Members 51,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG phone preinstalled alarm clock has strange permissions. What's going on?

Tip us?

oy-ster
Old
(Last edited by oy-ster; 3rd April 2014 at 04:40 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default LG phone preinstalled alarm clock has strange permissions. What's going on?

Hey,
There is this LG LII optimus series phone, it was bought at a physical reputable store, haven't been changed whats so ever (not a single new program was added).

I've just noticed that the alarm clock app that came preinstalled has the following permissions:
-Your personall information- read call logs,read your contacts.
-Network communication-full network access.
-Phone calls- read phone status and identity.
-System tools-
-Network communications- view network communications, wifi connections.
-Development toos- test access to protected storage.
-Hardware controls-
-Run at start up.
- Modify system settings.

My initial reaction was "WTF?", but I'm probably missing something...

So, dear XDA pundits, what gives? Is it something legitimate or NSAFBICIAGCHQLEAOTHERLAWAGENCIESCRIMINALSMARKETERS PRIVATEINVESTIGATORSTINFOILHATPROFILIERS1984 much?

Thanks.

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thread burried itself deeper than my proctologist so I'm pulling it out.
UP. .

christi9503
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oy-ster View Post
Thread burried itself deeper than my proctologist so I'm pulling it out.
UP. .
I have the L7 II and i have same permissions as you and they seem normal to me. Only one i don't have is developer one but i think it is just fine.
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU. It takes just a second.

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the response.
By 'normal' I pressume you mean that they are not spying/have the potential to spy on your phone? How do you know that?
Thx.

P.S A friend of mine told me yesterday about the affair with LG's spying tvs which was exposed a month or two ago...In my opinion 'creepy' wouldn't do justice in describing it.

christi9503
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oy-ster View Post
Thank you for the response.
By 'normal' I pressume you mean that they are not spying/have the potential to spy on your phone? How do you know that?
Thx.

P.S A friend of mine told me yesterday about the affair with LG's spying tvs which was exposed a month or two ago...In my opinion 'creepy' wouldn't do justice in describing it.
If someone wants to spy on your phone they will do that by any means. Anyway every device and electronics you have around you can "spy". I would say do not worry about it.
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU. It takes just a second.

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
LOL, thats not very reassuring. I was hoping more for an an answer along the lines of "I've checked the internet traffic for the app, and based on its size, frequency and destination it can only be used for so and so..." or "The program size is too small to contain enough commands for both spying and provide its functionality"...

I guess you have a point in the fact that if you are getting bummed you might as well relax and think of England, but... I don't know, I suppose I want to be sure first of what is actually happening, and if indeed it is something bad...Well at the very least maybe I can cry out.

Anyway, thank you!

If some other developer knows why is it like that, I would love to hear.