Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 50,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S pen cause lag/ stutters

Tip us?

ant2555
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default S pen cause lag/ stutters

Hey guys, got some videos showing the difference between scrolling through homescreens with a stylus and the s pen - and the s pen seems to make my launcher lag!

There are two videos a before and after of me ajusting the sensitivity of the S pen but this does not seem to help!
before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDbGR_5dQP4
after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZ-AupQ43E

Does everyone get this or is my s pen faulty?

(it is more noticeable in real life than in the video.)

celderic
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant2555 View Post
Hey guys, got some videos showing the difference between scrolling through homescreens with a stylus and the s pen - and the s pen seems to make my launcher lag!

There are two videos a before and after of me ajusting the sensitivity of the S pen but this does not seem to help!
before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDbGR_5dQP4
after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZ-AupQ43E

Does everyone get this or is my s pen faulty?

(it is more noticeable in real life than in the video.)
With the test for the spen when you dial *#0*#
If you move it very fast does what your drawing have to catch up to the spen if that makes sense? (Mine does but i assume this is normal, as its much faster than i would ever use it)
And have you tried doing a data wipe and flashing a completely stock image from sammobile?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to celderic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ant2555
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I have only just received the phone and as such I am completely stock. I dont really want to wipe data for obvious reasons having spent ages setting up the phone. When i did the test the s pen does no have to catch up at all. Do you think thats the problem? Too sensitive? To confirm you have no difference in performance when using the s pen to scroll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celderic View Post
With the test for the spen when you dial *#0*#
If you move it very fast does what your drawing have to catch up to the spen if that makes sense? (Mine does but i assume this is normal, as its much faster than i would ever use it)
And have you tried doing a data wipe and flashing a completely stock image from sammobile?

celderic
Old
(Last edited by celderic; 5th April 2014 at 02:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant2555 View Post
I have only just received the phone and as such I am completely stock. I dont really want to wipe data for obvious reasons having spent ages setting up the phone. When i did the test the s pen does no have to catch up at all. Do you think thats the problem? Too sensitive? To confirm you have no difference in performance when using the s pen to scroll?
I only asked as i saw you werent running touchwiz launcher, so i thought you might be on another rom. But no i do not notice any slow downs while using the s pen, but i do use it very slowly, i dont swipe as fast with it as i do with my finger. So it could be that i just dont notice it.

Edit: The s pen tips that came in the box, are you using the hard ones or the softer white ones? I am using the softer one. Doubt this would make ant difference though.

ant2555
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Hi, I don't seem to have any "softer white ones" - although I replaced the current black one to no effect. Do you think I should turn up the sensitivity or turn it down to reduce the stutter of the s pen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celderic View Post
I only asked as i saw you werent running touchwiz launcher, so i thought you might be on another rom. But no i do not notice any slow downs while using the s pen, but i do use it very slowly, i dont swipe as fast with it as i do with my finger. So it could be that i just dont notice it.

Edit: The s pen tips that came in the box, are you using the hard ones or the softer white ones? I am using the softer one. Doubt this would make ant difference though.

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 784
Try both. A too-sensitive setting makes the phone detect the pen even though you're not close to the screen, and too low makes it not register at all.

By default the Spen, as any Wacom pen, has a delay between drawing and the result showing up on the screen. This is because the pen is magnetic, whereas a stylus simulates a fingertip. This happens on the 2100 quid CINTIQ, too.

Are you using a case with a magnet? Have you tried a different launcher?

I'm not experiencing lag in the launcher on Apex.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.