Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 53,050 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AdAway - what am I missing?

Tip us?

MultiDev
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief298 View Post
S-Off'd and rooted through flashable zip. Installed adaway as a system app, and it's running fine here. Nothing else changed or added.

M8, nuff said.
Yeah, I was wrong about that. The system partition is writable after S-off.
The Following User Says Thank You to MultiDev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deeznuts
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief298 View Post
S-Off'd and rooted through flashable zip. Installed adaway as a system app, and it's running fine here. Nothing else changed or added.

M8, nuff said.
I also have s-off, uninstalled weak sauce, then flashed through CWM supersu.zip for full root, reboot. Downloaded latest AdAway apk found here on xda forum. I then ran apk file from my download folder, hit install. Open AdAway, click on Download fiels and apply add blocking. Now it just gets stuck on Applying... with the circle going around and around for over 15 minutes straight now! Yes i gave root access when asked. Is this normal?

Nevermind. Closed app, then reopened and it did the download thing like normal. Now says successful and applied hosts sources: 4/4.

So i'm good to go now? Does this need reboot like prompted?
Device: Verizon HTC One (M8)
Current Rom: Stock

mchief298
Old
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post
I also have s-off, uninstalled weak sauce, then flashed through CWM supersu.zip for full root, reboot. Downloaded latest AdAway apk found here on xda forum. I then ran apk file from my download folder, hit install. Open AdAway, click on Download fiels and apply add blocking. Now it just gets stuck on Applying... with the circle going around and around for over 15 minutes straight now! Yes i gave root access when asked. Is this normal?

Nevermind. Closed app, then reopened and it did the download thing like normal. Now says successful and applied hosts sources: 4/4.

You don't NEED to, but it is recommended.

M8, nuff said.
My philosophy is that if your "contribution" to the community has a giant DONATE button in the center of the page? It isn't worth the download.

Devices - Verizon
  • Galaxy S3 (Rooted, Unlocked) - Traded Up
  • Galaxy S4 MDK (Rooted, Unlocked) - Traded Up
  • Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted, Safestrap) - Traded for M7
  • HTC M7 (S-Off'd, Rooted, Unlocked) - Sold
  • Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted, Safestrap) - Sold
  • Galaxy S3 (Unrooted, Stock) - Edged Up
  • HTC M8 (S-Off'd, Rooted, Unlocked) - Current Device

starcms
Old
(Last edited by starcms; 7th April 2014 at 06:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
This is the one app causing me problems. Adfree works problem free, but AdAway likes to keep getting stuck on "Applying...". I've got it to succeed once or twice by force closing and re-trying, but it's not reliable. I'm S-off, CWM recovery, SuperSU, and the modded kernel with RW permissions. What gives? :?

EDIT: Even tried installing Adaway as system app, problem still persists...???

EDIT2: Finally got it working. Noticed in the OP in the xda thread that there is a modded version to fix problem. All good

Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post

Don't need to reboot. I never have and it works fine.

deeznuts
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123421342 View Post
Don't need to reboot. I never have and it works fine.
Thank you
Device: Verizon HTC One (M8)
Current Rom: Stock

JWhetstone02
Old
Thanks Meter 802
I had to install the unsecure boot image in order for AdAway to work properly. Otherwise it just hangs on applying host files.

From what I understand, just because you're s-off still doesn't mean you have full write access. The stock kernel has the write protection modules built in.

Flashing the unsecure boot image fixed all issues I was having and I'm pretty sure if you're still having problems, flashing that will help

-HTC One m8-

HTC One m8

ROM: custom
Kernel: stock
Radio: 0.89.20.0321

HTC Touch Diamond > HTC HD7 > HTC Imagio > HTC DInc > HTC DInc2 > HTC Thunderbolt > HTC ReZound > HTC Droid DNA > HTC One (m7) > HTC One (m8)

| HTC Elevate | DropBox |

GSUS969
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I'm not disputing whether or not s-off provides full write access. But, I was able to install AdAway with full functionality without installing the unsecure stock kernel. It takes a while to download all the data and install it though (maybe 5 minutes or so?). Then, I rebooted and it's working very well. No more ads!