Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Bricked... Super lost need help

Tip us?

Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Bricked... Super lost need help

So I rooted my device, and tried to unroot it because it was stuck at the blue kindle fire logo and wouldnt boot up to the actual os. Now the device only shows the orange logo, but won't go past that. Additionally, the volume up button does not make it enter fastboot. Oh and to top things off, the ADB doesnt recognize the device anymore. Instead of doing the logical thing and stopping at the first sign of an issue and coming here for help, I tried a few kindle fire recovery things from this site, but none of them seemed to make it work.

Here's what (little) else I know:
Superuser is no longer installed
I tried reinstalling Superuser.apk a while ago but system/app was read only

Is anyone capable of helping me?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
You need to enter fastboot mode, if it is a 8.9" model then a fastboot cable won't help. When it turns on it should initially show up as a jem device in the device manager, you have to install the driver when it shows up briefly, once you have the driver installed you just need to run "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" and then plug the kindle in while it is off, it should then go into fastboot where you can restore it with kindle fire first aid or SRT.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captainreynolds
Old
(Last edited by captainreynolds; 9th April 2014 at 04:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
You need to enter fastboot mode, if it is a 8.9" model then a fastboot cable won't help. When it turns on it should initially show up as a jem device in the device manager, you have to install the driver when it shows up briefly, once you have the driver installed you just need to run "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" and then plug the kindle in while it is off, it should then go into fastboot where you can restore it with kindle fire first aid or SRT.

I have a similar problem with mine. Could you explain a little more clearly?

"You need to enter fastboot mode, if it is a 8.9" model then a fastboot cable won't help."

Do you mean that you cannot use fastboot over a terminal/command line on a computer connected to the tablet via a USB cable? Because that has not been my experience

Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Okay, so I got into fastboot mode on my computer and it sees the device when I input fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product. I used SRT to flash the second option, images/system2.img and I got this confirmation:

sending 'system' (907264 KB)...

It's been 40 minutes and I haven't gotten any change/update in the command line output. How long should this take/will it make things worse if I stop it?

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 9th April 2014 at 06:04 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
I don't think things can get any worse if you pull it when it's not finished since it is the system partition, you will just have to try reflashing it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainreynolds View Post
I have a similar problem with mine. Could you explain a little more clearly?

"You need to enter fastboot mode, if it is a 8.9" model then a fastboot cable won't help."

Do you mean that you cannot use fastboot over a terminal/command line on a computer connected to the tablet via a USB cable? Because that has not been my experience
I mean a fastboot cable normally puts a kindle into fastboot mode, that's the purpose of it. On a 8.9" model they don't do this, hence the method I mentioned. This is what I have learned from all the resources on xda, I don't have a 8.9" model to test for myself though.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

captainreynolds
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
I don't think things can get any worse if you pull it when it's not finished since it is the system partition, you will just have to try reflashing it again.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
So just close the window doing the flash operation and try again?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
Sure, wouldn't recommend it if it does that on a boot partition but there's not much else you can do when it hangs.

captainreynolds
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Sure, wouldn't recommend it if it does that on a boot partition but there's not much else you can do when it hangs.

I can't get any fastboot commands to actually do anything! I enter them all correctly and nothing works. Any ideas?

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 16th April 2014 at 10:21 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
If it says waiting for device and never did anything check the device manager and see if there's a jem device sitting there with a yellow triangle next to it. I'm about to nod off so let me say this, if you already did this I am half asleep so sorry for mentioning this again. Did you run "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" then plug the device in while off and it show a fastboot logo? If no then its a driver issue.