Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 49,307 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help Overclocking SM-P600 ARM A15 cores: is it possible?

Tip us?

NerroEx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tablet [Q] Help Overclocking SM-P600 ARM A15 cores: is it possible?

Ive gotten apps that can over clock the cores, but it's only the 4 SMALL cores which clock at 1.3 GHZ and can over clock into 1.9 GHZ but I don't need that since the Exynos 5 Octa has 4 OTHER cores that clock at 1.9GHZ. The Dolphin emulator doesn't use the 1.9GHZ cores. When I over clock there 1.3GHZ to 1.9GHZ while playing Super Smash Bros Melee, it runs just as good as the Note 3 does, which is 2.3GHZ SnapDragon. If I were to use AND over clock the 1.9GHZ cores, I may be able to run that and also other graphic intense games almost perfectly. Help please.

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerroEx View Post
Ive gotten apps that can over clock the cores, but it's only the 4 SMALL cores which clock at 1.3 GHZ and can over clock into 1.9 GHZ but I don't need that since the Exynos 5 Octa has 4 OTHER cores that clock at 1.9GHZ. The Dolphin emulator doesn't use the 1.9GHZ cores. When I over clock there 1.3GHZ to 1.9GHZ while playing Super Smash Bros Melee, it runs just as good as the Note 3 does, which is 2.3GHZ SnapDragon. If I were to use AND over clock the 1.9GHZ cores, I may be able to run that and also other graphic intense games almost perfectly. Help please.
Overclocking was attempted with the Bindroid Kernel but it would not stick. As for it running better on the Note 3, you are pushing a lot fewer pixels on the Note 3 (1200x1980) versus Note 2014 (2560x1600)
Phone:

HTC One M8 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield

Retired Phones: HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014

NerroEx
Old
(Last edited by NerroEx; 8th April 2014 at 12:00 AM.) Reason: added info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23 View Post
Overclocking was attempted with the Bindroid Kernel but it would not stick. As for it running better on the Note 3, you are pushing a lot fewer pixels on the Note 3 (1200x1980) versus Note 2014 (2560x1600)
what's a bindroid kernel lol and well then shouldn't that mean that it should be harder to run on the tablet??? and also if I were to over clock the bigger cores and over clock the gpu, which so far the apps that over clock gpu's are only for Snapdargon, then it would run better than any device on the market.

Also, I found this: "The core switching is controlled by a firmware layer that sits in between the software and the chip itself. Operating systems can be tweaked to better support big.LITTLE's particular arrangement of cores, but any OS that supports power state switching for CPUs (any mainstream operating system from the last decade or so) can take advantage of big.LITTLE without any additional changes."
Source:http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/.../exynos-5-octa

Though this is for the galaxy s4, it should be the architecture as the note 10.1 2014. But is it possible to tweak that firmware or even MANUALLY activate the 4 stronger cores at will???

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
what's a bindroid kernel lol and well then shouldn't that mean that it should be harder to run on the tablet??? and also if I were to over clock the bigger cores and over clock the gpu, which so far the apps that over clock gpu's are only for Snapdargon, then it would run better than any device on the market.

Also, I found this: "The core switching is controlled by a firmware layer that sits in between the software and the chip itself. Operating systems can be tweaked to better support big.LITTLE's particular arrangement of cores, but any OS that supports power state switching for CPUs (any mainstream operating system from the last decade or so) can take advantage of big.LITTLE without any additional changes."
Source:http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/.../exynos-5-octa

Though this is for the galaxy s4, it should be the architecture as the note 10.1 2014. But is it possible to tweak that firmware or even MANUALLY activate the 4 stronger cores at will???
You may want to do some more research before you do anything. Most aspects of the CPU or GPU are handled by the kernel. The only way you can overclock any device is with a custom kernel that has the higher frequencies in the tables. DutchDanny tried to get overclocking working but it did not work. You can however underclock most any device since it has all the lower frequencies listed. If we wanted to enable Big Little on the Note 2014 we would need Samsung to release source code enabling it. Which I am sure they will not do. Again the Big Little is kernel dependent. The Android OS is not the problem Samsung is the problem. Do a search there is a very good thread about the 8 core thing.
Phone:

HTC One M8 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Nvidia Shield

Retired Phones: HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014

NerroEx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You may want to do some more research before you do anything. Most aspects of the CPU or GPU are handled by the kernel. The only way you can overclock any device is with a custom kernel that has the higher frequencies in the tables. DutchDanny tried to get overclocking working but it did not work. You can however underclock most any device since it has all the lower frequencies listed. If we wanted to enable Big Little on the Note 2014 we would need Samsung to release source code enabling it. Which I am sure they will not do. Again the Big Little is kernel dependent. The Android OS is not the problem Samsung is the problem. Do a search there is a very good thread about the 8 core thing.
Wait wuuut I heard there was going to be an update for the Exynos 5 octa for Big.Little Architecture ???

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Wait wuuut I heard there was going to be an update for the Exynos 5 octa for Big.Little Architecture ???
The Exynos 5 is fully capable but Samsung has never said they would update the Note 2014 to enable it.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium HD app
Phone:

HTC One M8 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Nvidia Shield

NerroEx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
The Exynos 5 is fully capable but Samsung has never said they would update the Note 2014 to enable it.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium HD app
Actually I heard either in Q4 or Q3 they were going to release an update

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Actually I heard either in Q4 or Q3 they were going to release an update
I got the Note 2014 the day it came out and I check all kinds of news/forums everyday. I have seen nothing where they stated they would update any current devices with big.LITTLE. They have stated by the end of the year they would release new devices with big.LITTLE implemented. I would guess the first ones would be the 6 core midrange processor due to heat and power usage. You can get a lot more information from this thread in the main section.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2645875
Phone:

HTC One M8 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Nvidia Shield