Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Free or paid in Play store

OP hasselaar_nl

8th April 2014, 01:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
At the moment Iím finishing my first set of Zooper widgets with clock elements and weather forecast elements. I'd like to deploy them thru the Play store and so I have to choose to make them free or paid. I'd like to continue making widgets for Zooper and it would be great if I can earn some money with it...

So, are there some written or unwritten guidelines when to publish for free or when to publish a paid extension?
8th April 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #2  
kwerdenker's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Probably the Zooper Forums
Thanks Meter: 2,368
 
1,411 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselaar_nl

At the moment Iím finishing my first set of Zooper widgets with clock elements and weather forecast elements. I'd like to deploy them thru the Play store and so I have to choose to make them free or paid. I'd like to continue making widgets for Zooper and it would be great if I can earn some money with it...

So, are there some written or unwritten guidelines when to publish for free or when to publish a paid extension?

This thread should bring you up to speed on the process: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2594973
8th April 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Why all free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerdenker

This thread should bring you up to speed on the process: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2594973

Thanks Kwerdenker. I already did some testing using the guide from the Zooper website, and I had success but unpublished the app (It was only for testing and finding out the process).

I see that you have all your widgets (which are very nice!) free online. What's your reason to post them free?
8th April 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
kwerdenker's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Probably the Zooper Forums
Thanks Meter: 2,368
 
1,411 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselaar_nl

Thanks Kwerdenker. I already did some testing using the guide from the Zooper website, and I had success but unpublished the app (It was only for testing and finding out the process).

I see that you have all your widgets (which are very nice!) free online. What's your reason to post them free?

The main three reasons:
1) I do this as a hobby. I have fun doing it and will do it, even if no one pays me.
2) If you are selling stuff on the Play Store, you are responsible for paying the appropriate taxes. You also have to deal with tax laws in each country you sell your app/widget in. For the amount of money I could make of this after Play Store cut and taxes, the additional workload is just too high.
3) I have a good paying job and thus I'm not dependent on additional funds.
9th April 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #5  
scottx .'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, Texas
Thanks Meter: 785
 
2,222 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
I give most of mine away because of the encryption bug for jelly bean. I sell a few. Been working hard on trying to smash that bug. Bunch of us Zooper devs have. I make enough usually to pay my $55 a month aio/straight talk bill. Really I do it for fun. I work full time and i use it as an excuse to play on my phone. (I'm almost 40!)

Google plus has a ton of Zooper discussion and communities. Come check us out. http://plus.google.com/+MatthewScott

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
10th April 2014, 09:58 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerdenker

The main three reasons:
1) I do this as a hobby. I have fun doing it and will do it, even if no one pays me.
2) If you are selling stuff on the Play Store, you are responsible for paying the appropriate taxes. You also have to deal with tax laws in each country you sell your app/widget in. For the amount of money I could make of this after Play Store cut and taxes, the additional workload is just too high.
3) I have a good paying job and thus I'm not dependent on additional funds.

Thanks for your explanation. Iíve read some about the tax issues and that is indeed a good reason not to sell Too bad Google does not handle these taxes their selves and is every small developer by law obligated to know the law in every country he sells.
10th April 2014, 10:07 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottx .

I give most of mine away because of the encryption bug for jelly bean. I sell a few. Been working hard on trying to smash that bug. Bunch of us Zooper devs have. I make enough usually to pay my $55 a month aio/straight talk bill. Really I do it for fun. I work full time and i use it as an excuse to play on my phone. (I'm almost 40!)

Google plus has a ton of Zooper discussion and communities. Come check us out. http://plus.google.com/+MatthewScott

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hey Scott, I already saw your widgets/site/G+-page which were a reason for me to open this topic. Because you have some nice work in the store I was wondering why most of the widgets are for free. Thanks for your reply!
The Following User Says Thank You to hasselaar_nl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2014, 03:16 PM   |  #8  
scottx .'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, Texas
Thanks Meter: 785
 
2,222 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselaar_nl

Hey Scott, I already saw your widgets/site/G+-page which were a reason for me to open this topic. Because you have some nice work in the store I was wondering why most of the widgets are for free. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks man! Always love getting compliments.

If I can help you with anything send me a message on Hangouts.

edit: The taxes don't bother me at all. Google takes 30% off the top which is what does bother me. But without Google where would we be? Surely wouldn't have Android.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
free, paid, play store, widgets, zooper
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes