XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 root

Tip us?

HabueN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default M8 root

Hi,this might have been answerd before, but after a search i didnt find anything.

After unlocking bootloader and rooting this phone, like told in the htcdev guide, will there still be htc ota updates?
It was not on the s4, but samsung didnt support unlocking, thast why i wonder

Thanks
HTC one M8

bobruels44
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabueN View Post
Hi,this might have been answerd before, but after a search i didnt find anything.

After unlocking bootloader and rooting this phone, like told in the htcdev guide, will there still be htc ota updates?
It was not on the s4, but samsung didnt support unlocking, thast why i wonder

Thanks
Samsung didn't support unlocking because the bootloader for most providers are not locked in the first place.

If you have a custom recovery the OTA will fail. There has been some debate as to if having an unlocked bootloader will work as well on past devices, but time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobruels44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HabueN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobruels44 View Post
Samsung didn't support unlocking because the bootloader for most providers are not locked in the first place.

If you have a custom recovery the OTA will fail. There has been some debate as to if having an unlocked bootloader will work as well on past devices, but time will tell.
Okay, thanks
While you're here, is there an easy way to install stock firmware and restore the phone back to official status after custom rom flash? I'm new to HTC, only did this with samsung phones via Odin.
HTC one M8

bobruels44
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Okay, thanks
While you're here, is there an easy way to install stock firmware and restore the phone back to official status after custom rom flash? I'm new to HTC, only did this with samsung phones via Odin.
This is trickier with HTC. HTC uses something called RUUs. I don't rember what they stand for but they will do a full flash of stock firmware.

The catch is they are not available for everyone. They are carrier specific, and so far I haven't seen any for the M8 yet. Hopefully they will release it soon. Once we have this it is a simple .exe that is done on a windows computer and will take care of everything.

Alternately you can use a custom recovery to flash a stock nandroid, and then flash a stock recovery image.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobruels44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mchief298
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Okay, thanks
Good question.

M8, nuff said.
My philosophy is that if your "contribution" to the community has a giant DONATE button in the center of the page? It isn't worth the download.

Devices - Verizon
  • Galaxy S3 (Rooted, Unlocked) - Traded Up
  • Galaxy S4 MDK (Rooted, Unlocked) - Traded Up
  • Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted, Safestrap) - Traded for M7
  • HTC M7 (S-Off'd, Rooted, Unlocked) - Sold
  • Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted, Safestrap) - Sold
  • Galaxy S3 (Unrooted, Stock) - Edged Up
  • HTC M8 (S-Off'd, Rooted, Unlocked) - Current Device

HabueN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobruels44 View Post
This is trickier with HTC. HTC uses something called RUUs. I don't rember what they stand for but they will do a full flash of stock firmware.

The catch is they are not available for everyone. They are carrier specific, and so far I haven't seen any for the M8 yet. Hopefully they will release it soon. Once we have this it is a simple .exe that is done on a windows computer and will take care of everything.

Alternately you can use a custom recovery to flash a stock nandroid, and then flash a stock recovery image.
Sweet, thank you very much.
Than i will cross my fingers that it will come a RUU that works with carriers from Norway.
HTC one M8