Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 53,277 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ROM\Kernel Questions

Tip us?

cunninglinguist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] ROM\Kernel Questions

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently rocking Wicked ROM v5 with SaberN3Kernel_10.7 on Android 4.3 and I have a few questions that I searched around for but couldn't find clear answers.
  1. When I'm ready to upgrade to KitKat or whatever version is out by then, can I just use OTA update from T-Mobile or do I need to flash the stock ROM myself using ODIN?
  2. If I ever wanted to flash a new custom ROM or a stock ROM would I still have Saber Kernel or would it get overwritten by whatever the new ROM came with?

Thanks In Advanced,
Art

cunninglinguist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Bump

FFTony
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninglinguist View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently rocking Wicked ROM v5 with SaberN3Kernel_10.7 on Android 4.3 and I have a few questions that I searched around for but couldn't find clear answers.
  1. When I'm ready to upgrade to KitKat or whatever version is out by then, can I just use OTA update from T-Mobile or do I need to flash the stock ROM myself using ODIN?
  2. If I ever wanted to flash a new custom ROM or a stock ROM would I still have Saber Kernel or would it get overwritten by whatever the new ROM came with?

Thanks In Advanced,
Art
1. If you are running g a custom ROM you will need to download the official version from sammobile.com and then flash using odin. The OTA does not work if using a custom ROM.

2. When you upgrade to 4.4 you will loose root and your kernel. It's just as easy to root 4.4 as it was 4.3. If you have a custom kernel and you flash a new ROM most of the time you are given a choice if you want to flash their kernel or not. If it does flash their kernel you can always reflash the one you want. Just as a side note, if you upgrade to 4.4 make sure your kernel is built for 4.4.

SM-N900T: Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
SM-N900T Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to FFTony For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cunninglinguist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTony View Post
1. If you are running g a custom ROM you will need to download the official version from sammobile.com and then flash using odin. The OTA does not work if using a custom ROM.

2. When you upgrade to 4.4 you will loose root and your kernel. It's just as easy to root 4.4 as it was 4.3. If you have a custom kernel and you flash a new ROM most of the time you are given a choice if you want to flash their kernel or not. If it does flash their kernel you can always reflash the one you want. Just as a side note, if you upgrade to 4.4 make sure your kernel is built for 4.4.

SM-N900T: Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
Thanks, just what I needed to know.