Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 39,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Time to upgrade

Tip us?
 
beavermjr
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 121
Join Date: Dec 2009
Battery Low [Q] Time to upgrade

I'm still using the charge for my daily driver. The original one I had died and for $50 and a trip to ebay, I'm back in business.

The phone is EP5 with tweaked 3.2. The phone works but has lag and the ROM is loosing support. I know about Tweaked lite 1.0 but the themes and boot animations are missing...

It has been a long time since I've shopped phones and am starting to think about it again. Now I have some questions:

1. Since I have Verizon's unlimited data, I have to buy phones outright in order to keep data. What phones are worth buying now or waiting for?

2. If I buy a new phone like the galaxy S5, how easy will it be to root? Will I have to wait for a ROM to be developed or can I just add root to the stock phone?

3. What are the benefits of kitkat versus the old OS that charge has?

4. Why do phone manufactures insist that bigger is better? I like the size of the charge and if I get another phone the same size, I am forced to get a "less than the best" model.

5. With flash no longer being supported on android, has someone cooked a batch that will work with kitkat or are we SOL? I do use the phone every year to watch football games online. It sucks that I live out of market for the Vikings and am stuck with Jets, bills and other teams I could care less about.

I think that's about it. I guess I'm just weary of shelling out hundreds of dollars to get a new phone when the one I have does most of the stuff I want.

Mike
 
10amla
Old
#2  
10amla's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 61
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavermjr View Post
I'm still using the charge for my daily driver. The original one I had died and for $50 and a trip to ebay, I'm back in business.

The phone is EP5 with tweaked 3.2. The phone works but has lag and the ROM is loosing support. I know about Tweaked lite 1.0 but the themes and boot animations are missing...

It has been a long time since I've shopped phones and am starting to think about it again. Now I have some questions:

1. Since I have Verizon's unlimited data, I have to buy phones outright in order to keep data. What phones are worth buying now or waiting for?

2. If I buy a new phone like the galaxy S5, how easy will it be to root? Will I have to wait for a ROM to be developed or can I just add root to the stock phone?

3. What are the benefits of kitkat versus the old OS that charge has?

4. Why do phone manufactures insist that bigger is better? I like the size of the charge and if I get another phone the same size, I am forced to get a "less than the best" model.

5. With flash no longer being supported on android, has someone cooked a batch that will work with kitkat or are we SOL? I do use the phone every year to watch football games online. It sucks that I live out of market for the Vikings and am stuck with Jets, bills and other teams I could care less about.

I think that's about it. I guess I'm just weary of shelling out hundreds of dollars to get a new phone when the one I have does most of the stuff I want.

Mike
I upgraded from the Charge to the Note 3 in December. While the Charge was a good starter phone for me, I was chomping at the bit for a new phone.

1. I love my Note 3, but it is BIG.
2. Since Verizon hasn't released the s5, don't know about rooting it. However, if past behavior is any guide, the Note 3 has a locked bootloader so you can't flash kernels(no ASOP). I rooted it with Kingo and have safestrap installed to test non-stock roms.
3. I have the kitkat version of PacRom on my Galaxy Tab2 7.0; I've noticed very little difference between 4.4 and 4.3.
4. That kind of bugs me too, they should have a Galaxy s5 Mini with the same specs but a smaller screen. On the other hand, the new phones are thinner and the larger screens look really nice. Also I have "old eyes", hence the Note 3(I also like the S-pen).
5. It could be worse, you could have TWO teams leave your market the same year(damn Rams and Raiders). My understanding that discontinuing Flash support was more of an Adobe decision. Other than that I've got nothing.

Did I mention I love my Note 3?
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Camera 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Samsung Droid Charge, Vizio VTAB1008

 
beavermjr
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 121
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10amla View Post
I upgraded from the Charge to the Note 3 in December. While the Charge was a good starter phone for me, I was chomping at the bit for a new phone.

1. I love my Note 3, but it is BIG.
2. Since Verizon hasn't released the s5, don't know about rooting it. However, if past behavior is any guide, the Note 3 has a locked bootloader so you can't flash kernels(no ASOP). I rooted it with Kingo and have safestrap installed to test non-stock roms.
3. I have the kitkat version of PacRom on my Galaxy Tab2 7.0; I've noticed very little difference between 4.4 and 4.3.
4. That kind of bugs me too, they should have a Galaxy s5 Mini with the same specs but a smaller screen. On the other hand, the new phones are thinner and the larger screens look really nice. Also I have "old eyes", hence the Note 3(I also like the S-pen).
5. It could be worse, you could have TWO teams leave your market the same year(damn Rams and Raiders). My understanding that discontinuing Flash support was more of an Adobe decision. Other than that I've got nothing.

Did I mention I love my Note 3?

#3 the charge has android 2.3.6. new phones have kit kat 4.4? what is the difference?

#5 I've read about browsers with built in flash and hacked versions of flash. Do any of them work?
#5b. 2 teams? How do you manage? It's bad enough watching one team limp through last season. oh and don't get me started on Jared Allen.
 
10amla
Old
#4  
10amla's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 61
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavermjr View Post
#3 the charge has android 2.3.6. new phones have kit kat 4.4? what is the difference?

#5 I've read about browsers with built in flash and hacked versions of flash. Do any of them work?
#5b. 2 teams? How do you manage? It's bad enough watching one team limp through last season. oh and don't get me started on Jared Allen.
#3 My comparison was based on 4.3 vs 4.4. The difference between 2.3 and 4.4 is the difference between night and day. One of the problem that I began running in to, was many apps that would only work on 4.0+.

#5 Not sure about browsers with build-in flash.
#5b I wasn't too great a loss to me, I was always more of a college football fan. One team in particular(Go Bruins).
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Camera 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Samsung Droid Charge, Vizio VTAB1008

Tags
new phone, upgrade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes