Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,913 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4 kitkat

Tip us?

danierakes
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Default 4.4 kitkat

Which version will get kitkat?

Galaxy sl i9003
Galaxy s3
Galaxy grand duos

holmson93
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by danierakes View Post
7,8,10.1 versions. samsung didn't specified it, so each version will get kit kat

jeffgus
Old
(Last edited by jeffgus; 4th April 2014 at 05:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by danierakes View Post
I noticed this on Sprint's RDF feed for their devices:

Code:
<prf:SoftwareNumber>T217SVPUBNC9</prf:SoftwareNumber>
<prf: OSVersion>4.4.2</prf: OSVersion>
So it appears that the T217S will get 4.4 in the next couple of months.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffgus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danierakes
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
I think only u.s version will get kitkat

Sent from my SM-T211 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Galaxy sl i9003
Galaxy s3
Galaxy grand duos

The_Hawk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
For me it's been a while away from the non iphone scene, I happened to wonder if I could upgrade my Tab3 7" today and was reading plenty of news about it being available soon (from articles posted in February). A quick poke around and it seems that it's not released yet and I figure I may as well ask since I don't know.

What's the release schedule around these things usually like? IE how long from "announced" to actually available?
Is the firmware for Tab devices geo-specific? IE is the Australian launch different to the US etc?
(I understand for the phones it's likely to be very carrier dependant)

I think that's all for now.

jeffgus
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
For me it's been a while away from the non iphone scene, I happened to wonder if I could upgrade my Tab3 7" today and was reading plenty of news about it being available soon (from articles posted in February). A quick poke around and it seems that it's not released yet and I figure I may as well ask since I don't know.

What's the release schedule around these things usually like? IE how long from "announced" to actually available?
Is the firmware for Tab devices geo-specific? IE is the Australian launch different to the US etc?

If you have a Sprint Tab 3 7.0, then expect an update somewhere between now and two months. That is just a guess but that is how firmware for my Galaxy S3 has worked. Sprint updates the RDF feed and then about two months later it gets released.

For other Tab 3's, no idea.

calden74
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post

Samsung is notorious for being one of the worst manufactures out there when it comes to updating their budget products. I wouldn't hold my breath on a April release, I expect the Tab 4 to be available for purchase before you'll see it. The Tab 3 7" will also probably be the last one to get it and will most likely be the last major update you will ever get, I would bet money on it. I'm actually surprised Samsung is even updating the Tab 3 7" as their track record for releasing new Android versions for their cheaper models is not good. Yes, the update is carrier specific for the LTE models and won't see the light of day for at least a month or two after the WiFi models are updated, if at all.

In the future I would stay away from Samsung's budget line, it's already been a year since version 4.3 was released without it ever reaching the Tab 3 line and now almost 6 months and counting for 4.4.2.

The_Hawk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
To be fair I only got this device to run torque pro in the car (which is does just fine). As an appliance it's great! Now I'm just tinkering because I'm bored :P

Although I'm also temped to trade in the iPhone for an android based phone and while I understand it's low powered this was going to be a taste of the new OS I'd be getting.

abart83
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i bought tab 3 2100 since i needed a 7 inch tab with phone capability, my first choice was any google tab but there is no phone capability in them so therefore i bought it.. and i think Samsung wont give kitkat update unless they release tab 4 with kitkat ... this is their way of making money !