Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,898 Members 48,402 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it still worth buying? Input appreciated!

Tip us?

omgbuffguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default [Q] Is it still worth buying? Input appreciated!

Hello,
So its been more or less a year since the nexus 7 2013 came out. And rumors have been there online about a 'nexus 8' coming out soon. I honestly do not care about that since it will then become a rat race of sorts.

My dilemma is that I need to buy a tablet, a week from now, for studying purposes. Like mandatory buying. Since there will be a lot of reading and watching videos(~6 hours a day in the library), my first thought was getting this tablet. Since the screen resolution is off the charts for a 7 inch screen. Plus its budget friendly.

But since I already have a nexus 5 (I have tried watching my videos on it but it burns my eyes after a couple of hours, plus the videos are SD), would it really make a difference to buy this tablet? Any advice/input would be appreciated.

Oh and where I live, I cant get my hands on a un-sealed nexus 7 so I cant compare the screen size versus my nexus 5.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Another tablet I thought of was Ipad Mini 1st gen (non retina). But then again, Apple official stop mini 1st gen support end of this year..

TheLastSidekick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,055

DONATE TO ME
I would stick with an Android tablet. They are cheaper to begin with and generally have better battery in my experience.

I would recommend getting the Nexus 7 2013 and maybe installing a custom kernel and ROM since it looks like you're going to be watching a lot of video and want the battery to last as long as possible.

Heck, I still have my Nexus 7 2012 and it works like a dream with RastaKat installed.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Team Inferno (Co-admin)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLastSidekick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omgbuffguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSidekick View Post
I would stick with an Android tablet. They are cheaper to begin with and generally have better battery in my experience.

I would recommend getting the Nexus 7 2013 and maybe installing a custom kernel and ROM since it looks like you're going to be watching a lot of video and want the battery to last as long as possible.

Heck, I still have my Nexus 7 2012 and it works like a dream with RastaKat installed.

I plan on installing ROMs and kernels yes

I see you have a nexus 5. Would you happen to have an idea of the screen size difference in person between nexus 5 and nexus 7 2013? If I'm not mistaken, your nexus 7 2012 is almost the same size as the 2013 counterpart, so how much better would you rate ( out of 10, the higher the better)watching a video on your nexus 5 versus nexus 7?

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to omgbuffguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheLastSidekick
Old
(Last edited by TheLastSidekick; 8th April 2014 at 09:48 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,055

DONATE TO ME
Nexus 5 is a bit clearer. As for the sizes the names of the devices speak for themselves. Nexus 5 clocks in around 4.97 inches IPS display if I'm right.

I don't know much about the Nexus 7 2013 but from what I read about the reviews and my friends who have used it love it.

That being said when it comes to size between the Nexus 5 and N7 2012 I'd love watch it on my tablet but for clarity I'd watch on my N5 in 1080p.
The N7 2013 isn't too far behind the Nexus 5 so I wouldn't worry about quality too much honestly.

Also while we're on the topic of devices I own I do Not own an S4. I'm using a Milk Music bypass where I have to modify the build.prop to show up as a Samsung device.

Team Inferno (Co-admin)

2toyzki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up thanks

This thread has been helpful, thank you.

lotherius
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 590

DONATE TO ME
I have a Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 and Nexus 7 2013...

My take?

Buy either Nexus 7 for media consumption and use your Nexus 5 as a phone/more portable device. 7" makes a difference even over the 5" screens I've seen.

As far as screen quality, the 2012 is actually not bad at 720p, but definitely the 1080p screen on the 2013 is excellent.

BIG warning though: The Nexus 7 2013 is extremely fragile. Within weeks of buying it, I had chips on the bezel despite it being in a rubberized case and never dropped. No idea how it happened. Then it warped while being in my pocket. You could lay it face down and it would tip back and forth. Then, I dropped it (my bad) and the screen shattered. Screen replacement is incredibly difficult, don't let anyone lie to you. I nearly destroyed the plastic bezel by overheating it to remove the glass. It made me sick since I have the LTE version and the bezel CANNOT be bought. I am probably going to "repair" the damaged area with rubber cement or epoxy to properly support the glass so it doesn't flex, and simply have an ugly bezel with no resale value.

QuizUp

Device Details:

PHONE: Nexus 5 - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 1: 2013 Nexus 7 LTE - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 2: 2012 Nexus 7 - Stock / Xposed / F2FS
PREVIOUS PHONES: Nexus 4 / LG G2X / Vibrant 3G / MyTouch 3G / LG Xenon / HTC G1 / HTC Touch Vogue / Sanyo KATANA / Motorola V220 / Nokia 5160 / Tin Can
PREVIOUS TABLET: HP TouchPad CM10.x
COMPUTER: Self-Built - Core i5 4670, 8GB DDR3, 240gb M500 SSD, OMFG Terabytes (7 TB last count), stuffed in a 2008 Dell XPS 730 case with a 27" AOC Monitor.
Google Plus
Tags
nexus, nexus7 2013