Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 39,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Possible photo recovery? Deleted via ES File Explorer

Tip us?
 
brian117
Old
#1  
brian117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Posts: 365
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Possible photo recovery? Deleted via ES File Explorer

This is more of a general Android question rather than a Galaxy S4 question but hopefully somebody has knowledge about it on this board. Basically I had some old, nostalgic pictures that were saved to my external SD card first, and then moved to my internal memory into a special folder via ES File Explorer and I ended up deleting them because I thought I wouldn't need them anymore. I deleted them from my internal memory via ES File Explorer. Mind you, I HAVE done several wipes of internal storage from installing ROM's and whatnot so I honestly think it's beyond unrecoverable.

Do you think there are copies of the pictures saved on my external SD card that a super highpowered recovery program would find since the pictures were put on there first and then moved? Or am I really **** out of luck? I don't know how data recovery works from media storage but I thought maybe these could be recovered.

I have tried using DiskDigger made specifically for Android and scanning internal memory and it did turn up some old pictures but not the ones I was hoping for. Wondering if there's some other method maybe?
 
KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
#2  
KRAZYADROIDMASTER's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 79
Posts: 1,442
Join Date: Feb 2011
I have to look in my tech dvds for a applications that I use.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE
MADE IN: KOREA
MANUFACTURE DATE 04/19/2011

STOCK

SANDISK: 4 GB CLASS 4 MICRO SD CARD.
 
brian117
Old
#3  
brian117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Posts: 365
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYADROIDMASTER View Post
I have to look in my tech dvds for a applications that I use.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
If it's too time consuming you don't have to.

If they're gone, it's fine. I still have them visualized in my mind . Just sucks I deleted them without thinking twice.
 
thisnamestoolong
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 18
Join Date: Apr 2011
Try recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

If nothing else has been written over the files, they will still be recoverable, as deleting a file only marks the space as usable. If anything has written over that space, however, you are unfortunately SoL. There are higher end recovery software suites that will help recovery partial files and whatnot, but recuva is super easy to use and is free, so I would start there.
 
braschlosan
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 182
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian117 View Post
I have tried using DiskDigger made specifically for Android and scanning internal memory and it did turn up some old pictures but not the ones I was hoping for. Wondering if there's some other method maybe?
Are you sure you scanned the right location? Depending on the camera app and its settings they can be stored on both the internal and external sd card. I'ved used DiskDigger numerous times and it found very old images.

By chance, would this be a 64gb microsd?
 
brian117
Old
#6  
brian117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Posts: 365
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by braschlosan View Post
Are you sure you scanned the right location? Depending on the camera app and its settings they can be stored on both the internal and external sd card. I'ved used DiskDigger numerous times and it found very old images.

By chance, would this be a 64gb microsd?
No it's a 32GB. I scanned data for internal and scanned my external card yes. Strange thing is it would display the pictures I already have saved and would make the list really long so going through it was a pain. I'll try it again tonight but I doubt it will work.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
braschlosan
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 182
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian117 View Post
No it's a 32GB. I scanned data for internal and scanned my external card yes. Strange thing is it would display the pictures I already have saved and would make the list really long so going through it was a pain. I'll try it again tonight but I doubt it will work.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I asked about the card size because I got burnt with a fake 64gb card. Once it was about 6gb full images would start to corrupt or vanish and I couldnt recover them.
The Following User Says Thank You to braschlosan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
brian117
Old
#8  
brian117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Posts: 365
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by braschlosan View Post
I asked about the card size because I got burnt with a fake 64gb card. Once it was about 6gb full images would start to corrupt or vanish and I couldnt recover them.
Thanks for the heads up. That has to suck though I'm sorry. You should have returned it right when you found out it was a fake.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Paid Android App Developers Will Soon Have to Provide Physical Address

Google has now changed its policies regarding paid app developers. … more

Windows Developers Rejoice! Dev Program’s $99 Yearly Fee is No More!

Microsoft rule in the mobile market, much like the giant dinosaurs … more

Add the Xperia Z2 Lock Screen to Your Favorite KitKat ROM

Almost every OEM adds its own unique flair to their stock firmwares. While some of … more

Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more