Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 38,090 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.2 once rooted possible to tether on old plan? don't have 2.5gb tether plan

Tip us?

parmakr
Old
(Last edited by parmakr; 8th April 2014 at 09:15 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.4.2 once rooted possible to tether on old plan? don't have 2.5gb tether plan

Hello everyone and excuse me for noob question. I got my note 3 few days ago already with 4.4.2. I will try to root using updated files for build uvucnb4. I'm curious if it will be possible to tether if I follow the buying wifi tether router video. I currently don't have the 2.5gb wifi tether option as I'm on a grandfathered plan that doesn't include this feature for my note 3. Do have unlimited Internet though. Haven't done anything yet as I'm still unclear on this. Really want to root just for this feature alone. Want to be able to tether my kids tablet and pc at home. Thanks and sorry I tried searching every where.

byrdtulsa
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmakr View Post
Hello everyone and excuse me for noob question. I got my note 3 few days ago already with 4.4.2. I will try to root using updated files for build uvucnb4. I'm curious if it will be possible to tether if I follow the buying wifi tether router video. I currently don't have the 2.5gb wifi tether option as I'm on a grandfathered plan that doesn't include this feature for my note 3. Do have unlimited Internet though. Haven't done anything yet as I'm still unclear on this. Really want to root just for this feature alone. Want to be able to tether my kids tablet and pc at home. Thanks and sorry I tried searching every where.
Will not work yet with 4.4.2.. with current hotspot. But tethered to laptop will work with usb cable just fine and hides usage

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to byrdtulsa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

parmakr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdtulsa View Post
Will not work yet with 4.4.2.. with current hotspot. But tethered to laptop will work with usb cable just fine and hides usage

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for quick response! Sorry but when you say tether to laptop via USB cable, I have the option to tether either way? Now how would I tether with the USB cable, is there an option for either wifi or USB cable? Sorry for dumb question very dumb when it comes to this. Thanks again

mike102871
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Yes it does work. I have the same grand fathered plan and using native tether on wicked rom. On stock kk you change the apn as listed on this forum. Delete or freeze tethering provision and use a play store widget to activate tether. It will force close settings once or twice when activates but will work on 3rd time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to mike102871 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

parmakr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Awesome thanks mike!! Seems like it's working very well. So for noobs as myself download kitkat build uvucnb4 root files. Flash via odin, download titanium backup, freeze tether provision, download wifi tether router from play store, make new apn as stated on the tutorial, and should work at least for me so far... now just wondering will tmobile be able to find out when I'm using my cup like downloading software to it or updating it or even just surfing the web?? Thanks for the help guys!!

rootgasm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I rooted my note 3 and using the wifi tether router from play store for hotspot. However, that is a paid software, but it's simple to use. got about 20mbps when on LTE.