Best Android non-PDF Reader Apps for NST

Tip us?

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226 View Post
This is the first non-stock reader that I thought was really better than the stock B&N reader.
I'm not really a big fan of the stock reader, but what are your main complaints?

David0226
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
I'm not really a big fan of the stock reader, but what are your main complaints?
My one complaint regarding the stock reader is that it could use more font size and line spacing choices.

For most other readers it is that most of the ones I have tried do not even have the ability to read and use the css included in the epub. What the stock reader calls "publisher defaults". (NOTE: AIReader doesn't do this either, but its default "eink" settings just seem to format the book exactly as I would like to see it.) For me the ideal reader application would use the css included with the epub with the ability to override some specific settings as selected by the user. Most reader applications have way too many settings for me to attempt to mess with and settings that work on one epub don't work so well on another so I end up playing with the settings each time I change books. So, for me, the stock reader gives me the best, though not perfect, reading experience.

A couple of things to note about me. First, I am an IT professional (UNIX/Linux) and so am very comfortable making modifications to my rooted device. As such, I have been able to configure the fonts I like for the stock reader using adb shell. Second, I read books from many different sources, including B&N (I have to use the stock reader for those anyway). I have enough knowledge to modify formatting inside a DRM free epub, so if it looks weird in the stock reader, I just change the formatting.
The Following User Says Thank You to David0226 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renate NST
Old
Thanks Meter 708
There is a patch for better font sizes, see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...p#post43393044
You need to apktool d, mergesmali, apktool b and jarsigner.
Depending on your needs and how you do things you may need to resign your Nook's system.
There is stuff about resigning in the rest of that thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renate NST
Old
Thanks Meter 708
I've been making my own Nook reader which works on other devices too.
Right now it's more a proof of principle.
Still, it's good enough now that it's my only reader.
It's missing a lot of features still, but it has:

Portrait/Landscape/Auto modes
Epub variable font sizes, variable line spacing, variable margins.
Pdf variable overscan.
Can read library books.
Progress stripe at the bottom.

I think that it has better page turns than the stock reader, which is surprising.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]