Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,614 Members 41,846 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyway to become a mobile Hotspot?

Tip us?

TheBiles
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh View Post
If you're not on an unlimited plan, tethering isn't any extra. It's only an additional fee if you're still on unlimited (because Verizon sucks). Unless if you haven't changed your plan since they put that policy in place...and if you haven't, well, do so.

If you're overseas on a GSM carrier, why would you be using a Verizon device? Especially since the Dev Edition is available and can be S-OFF'd easily.
Mobile hotspot absolutely does cost extra on Verizon, even if you have a data-limited plan.

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiles View Post
Mobile hotspot absolutely does cost extra on Verizon, even if you have a data-limited plan.
Try again
http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...verything.html

Right there it states you can use your phone as a hotspot. This changed a while back.

Karl
Old
Thanks Meter 467
theres this one to
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708548

TheBiles
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777 View Post
Try again
http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...verything.html

Right there it states you can use your phone as a hotspot. This changed a while back.
That's only for the "More Everything" plans. It costs extra for everyone else either as an add-on or a more expensive data tier.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8

sfreemanoh
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
That's only for the "More Everything" plans. It costs extra for everyone else either as an add-on or a more expensive data tier.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8
From what I understood, unless if you're still on a grandfathered plan of any type (maybe specifically unlimited data grandfathered, I'm not sure), wifi tethering is supposed to be free. Unless if you have proof otherwise, I'm going to stick with my belief.

That being said, I still have unlimited data, and I'm only going to give it up when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers, so regardless of their actual policies, it doesn't affect me. Besides, now that we have S-Off and full root, free tethering should be relatively simple once someone figures out how to do it, if it hasn't already been solved.

TheBiles
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh View Post
From what I understood, unless if you're still on a grandfathered plan of any type (maybe specifically unlimited data grandfathered, I'm not sure), wifi tethering is supposed to be free. Unless if you have proof otherwise, I'm going to stick with my belief.

That being said, I still have unlimited data, and I'm only going to give it up when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers, so regardless of their actual policies, it doesn't affect me. Besides, now that we have S-Off and full root, free tethering should be relatively simple once someone figures out how to do it, if it hasn't already been solved.
My "proof" is that it wouldn't let me enable the hotspot on my phone with my 10GB/month plan. You have to upgrade to their new plans for the free tethering.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 265
Quote:
My "proof" is that it wouldn't let me enable the hotspot on my phone with my 10GB/month plan. You have to upgrade to their new plans for the free tethering.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8
Actually Verizon lost an FCC appeal for LTE, they must allow tethering for plans that are not "Unlimited".
Ask them for the provisioning if you are not on an unlimited plan.

andrewnelson
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 23
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699200

go to the link.