Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 40,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast Privacy

Tip us?

albert_htc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Chromecast Privacy

Hi

I'm looking to set up multiple chromecasts around the office.
I'd like to know if users on the network can detect what is being cast.

For example.. I'm using one to show a financial portfolio, I don't want users on the network to be able to detect or see this without permission... The only people who should see it are the users in the room the cast is being presented to.

I don't want others to see the live presentation or the file name being cast.. Also I don't want them to be able take over the chromecast if its in use..

Can anyone advise on this.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) KitKat 4.4.2

rbeavers
Old
(Last edited by rbeavers; 9th April 2014 at 01:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 80
Don't know how to lock out other users unless you put it on it's own network. As for the rest of it.
If you use a password to log onto your network, and cast straight from desktop to chromecast you should be fine. The way I understand it.

Sent from my PHOTON Q using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Screwed by Google. Canceled ICS upgrade on my Moto Photon 4G. and No Update for Photon Q for Kit Kat.

Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE - CM 11.0 M8 - On ting.com - only Pay for what you GET.
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Kit Kat, Stock rooted, twrp recovery. "too new for ting"
Nexus 7 2012 Kit Kat, Stock rooted, twrp recovery.

Retired, Kids Toys, Gave Away &/or Bricked; HTC G1, Samsung Moment, 2 Photon 4G's, Samsung Nexus S 4G, Kindle Fire.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 843

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_htc View Post

For example.. I'm using one to show a financial portfolio, I don't want users on the network to be able to detect or see this without permission... The only people who should see it are the users in the room the cast is being presented to.

I don't want others to see the live presentation or the file name being cast.. Also I don't want them to be able take over the chromecast if its in use..
Yes, if I'm casting a YouTube video and my wife connects to the same Chromecast, she'll see exactly what I'm watching as well as the playback position.

With the right application you can probably get information about what's being cast regardless of what application is casting.

Chromecast, is a consumer device designed for ease-of-use on a home network. It's very loose on the privacy, even considering the market, IMO.

As @rbeavers suggested, you can control access by putting Chromecast on separate networks, whether that's via separate APs or via VLANs, it depends on how your network is configured. If you go the VLAN route, make sure to enable Multicast support on the VLAN but not multicast routing.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_htc View Post
Hi

Can anyone advise on this.

Thanks

Here is a good rule to go by.....
If Google's Name is on the device your Privacy is pretty much NIL! LOL

As @bhiga said, Anyone can connect to the CCast and get a report of what it is playing and where it is at in the playback.
So no Bachelor party tapes via CCast when the Wife is home! LOL

albert_htc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks. That explains it perfectly.