Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,167 Members 44,553 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Modify Low end android phones to play 480p videos

Tip us?

sandeshyapuram
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Modify Low end android phones to play 480p videos

Hello guys .
So this is what I want to do...
I often view my movies and animes on my Nexus 5.. But sometimes , when I try to play those videos on my ipod 4g or HTC desire C .. The wont play smoothly.. I do know it has something to do with hardware limitations on low end devices.. but I think its pretty unfair for these devices to not play atleast an SD 480p stream smoothly!
I have seen this feature in the MX player called "Enable Hardware acceleration.."
I don't know what it does , but selecting that option on my HTC desire C makes the videos a bit smoother but still the 480p videos wont play properly ... I tried reducing/increasing bitrates and codecs too (mostly H.264/XviD). But still no improvement.
I have my phone rooted too.
So is there any way to make 480p videos work on desire C and similar devices?
I would be really interested to work on it like a project which may target an app or some tweaks with the hardware itself?

Atari-San
Old
(Last edited by Atari-San; 9th April 2014 at 11:43 PM.) Reason: Grammar
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeshyapuram View Post
Hello guys .
So this is what I want to do...
I often view my movies and animes on my Nexus 5.. But sometimes , when I try to play those videos on my ipod 4g or HTC desire C .. The wont play smoothly.. I do know it has something to do with hardware limitations on low end devices.. but I think its pretty unfair for these devices to not play atleast an SD 480p stream smoothly!
I have seen this feature in the MX player called "Enable Hardware acceleration.."
I don't know what it does , but selecting that option on my HTC desire C makes the videos a bit smoother but still the 480p videos wont play properly ... I tried reducing/increasing bitrates and codecs too (mostly H.264/XviD). But still no improvement.
I have my phone rooted too.
So is there any way to make 480p videos work on desire C and similar devices?
I would be really interested to work on it like a project which may target an app or some tweaks with the hardware itself?
Hi, i see your HTC Desire C's a single core cpu with 600mhz, so it might be hardcore for playing a minimum of 480p video. Personaly, i would go with VLC for Android Beta, use the hardware acceleration option, the exclusive headset remote control (because you have a HTC phone), Force Video Chroma as YUV (Android 2.3 +) and no deblocking. I would sugest to overclock your cpu to it normal rate (seem 800mhz from system on chip info) and only download 480p or 360p video in 8bit. When you open your video in vlc for pc, if the info of the video say 10bit, it will not work and you will need to force reboot your phone). I was using an iphone 3GS and i personaly was reencoding my video with an open source software and it was working (handbrake i think ?). If you plan to buy a new phone in the near future, dual core can run 1080p video in 8bit and quad core seem to run 720p in 10bit, I hope it will help you.