Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Interference with Wireless Mouse/Keyboard?

OP Quevvy

10th April 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I've been a huge supporter of Chromecast since the very beginning (I bought it on the day it was announced.), and have used it extensively since receiving it. But recently, my roommate is blaming Chromecast for interfering with his wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. His bedroom is 2 rooms away from the Chromecast, with the wireless router located in the room between the Chromecast and his room (not sure if distance has an effect on it). I thought that Chromecast basically acts as a small WiFi network that communicates with your own router, and so if Chromecast is interfering, then all wireless networks (on 2.4 GHz band) would be causing interference as well. I've used a Microsoft wireless mouse quite often in our apartment, and have never had problems that I could attribute to Chromecast.

Are his concerns with Chromecast interference justified at all? Or has anyone else experienced issues like this?

I tried looking up if others had this problem, but wasn't able to find anything…
10th April 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quevvy

recently, my roommate is blaming Chromecast for interfering with his wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. His bedroom is 2 rooms away from the Chromecast, with the wireless router located in the room between the Chromecast and his room (not sure if distance has an effect on it). I thought that Chromecast basically acts as a small WiFi network that communicates with your own router, and so if Chromecast is interfering, then all wireless networks (on 2.4 GHz band) would be causing interference as well. I've used a Microsoft wireless mouse quite often in our apartment, and have never had problems that I could attribute to Chromecast.

Are his concerns with Chromecast interference justified at all? Or has anyone else experienced issues like this?

Chromecast is a wireless client just like your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. Same rules apply, and I do not believe its radio is any more powerful than standard, so unless your roommate's keyboard/mouse receiver is extremely close to Chromecast, I can't think of a reason it would be troublesome. Especially from a bedroom away.

More likely his keyboard/mouse receiver is too close to another wireless antenna.

That said, my bedroom TV (which is on the other side of the wall from my router) has been picking up interference on the audio channel from the router. I know it's from the router because I turned off the router's radio and the interference went away. Also, repositioning the router (moving it so it's diagonal rather than exactly opposite the TV) changes the amount of interference. Keep in mind this is an old analog TV that is connected to Chromecast through a mess of spare converters (that cost more than Chromecast) I had.

So inteference can happen, but I really don't think it's from Chromecast in your case.

Have you roommate try new batteries in their keyboard/mouse - and try putting the USB receiver on a hub, extension cable, or in a different USB port and see if that makes a difference.

If the problem is lag, it could also be the system itself getting USB errors from another USB device.

You could also change the 2.4 GHz wireless channel on the router, but as you said before, if it's really the network it would be affected by just about any network traffic, not just Chromecast.

Of course the easiest elimination is simply to unplug Chromecast and wait until the keyboard/mouse problem reappears. Almost certain it will happen without Chromecast in the mix, unless Chromecast is the only wireless device in the place.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread