XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mobile Share Value Plans

Tip us?

chp
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by codejunkie83 View Post
This is correct. Also, if you have currently been in contract for 6 months, they will allow a switch to AT&T Next. I feel it will not be long before they completely go to this method, especially with T-Mobile and others doing much the same.
Okay, so if that is the case, it seems like you will only save money if you do not intend to take advantage of subsidized upgrades in the future (assuming still available).

codejunkie83
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chp View Post
Okay, so if that is the case, it seems like you will only save money if you do not intend to take advantage of subsidized upgrades in the future (assuming still available).
From a purely monetary standpoint, yes - however, when you compare the data that you receive (10 GB vs 4/6GB), you are still saving money if you use that much data. But without taking advantage of the subsidized upgrades, you would most likely even out.

joshfalk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chp View Post
I was under the impression that once you switched to one of these plans, you no longer would get subsidized phone upgrades. Correct? In other words, the next time you want to upgrade you basically are on the AT&T Next setup (full unsubsidized price of phone broken out over x payments)
Do you remember where you heard this? It's the first I've heard about this aspect to the new plans, which means I may regret making the switch.

cschmitt
Old
Thanks Meter 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfalk View Post
Do you remember where you heard this? It's the first I've heard about this aspect to the new plans, which means I may regret making the switch.
My understanding from the AT&T rep (and my bill) is that each smartphone in the value plans are now $40 per month with a $25 monthly credit, so net $15.

If I upgrade using a Next plan, the $25 credit remains. (Next = a 0% interest loan to purchase the phone over 20 months.)

If I upgrade using a 2-year subsidy, the $25 credit is removed. (Making for a really expensive upgrade-- 24 * $25 + $200 up front = $800 for an iPhone 5S that I could purchase outright for $650.) Not that I'd purchase a 5S, but just an example of how an already overpriced phone just got even more expensive.

Basically, they really do not want people buying subsidized phones, and that's fine with me. I'd rather purchase the phone I want on my own timing and pay for it outright.

Up until the value plans it made sense to do 2-year upgrades because AT&T was already padding their rate plans with the subsidy cost, whether you upgraded or BYOP you paid for it.

Now, it makes more sense to just BYOP.
<this>
The Following User Says Thank You to cschmitt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ronf1011
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yes you have to stay on the next plan, ability to get a new phone yearly or 18 months, to keep the $15/month. I also saved 50% on my phone bill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to ronf1011 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeteSeiler2010
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronf1011 View Post
Yes you have to stay on the next plan, ability to get a new phone yearly or 18 months, to keep the $15/month. I also saved 50% on my phone bill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
This is good news, I was worried that when i upgraded with NEXT it would go from $15 to $40. I guess I should have read into it a little more, but yeah, my family is saving close to $100 since we switched to the value plan.
Phone - HTC One
Bootloader - Unlocked
S-Off
Google Edition Converted

Previous Devices:
Phone - Motorola Atrix HD
Destroyed by daughter....she will not be getting another...

cameronmfjay
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Love this plan. Switched to it immediately.