Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 43,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My Nexus 7 got stuck on X screen

Tip us?

MetaDream
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] My Nexus 7 got stuck on X screen

Hey guys,

I've read what I've found about this problem..

In most of the cases this problem occurs after installation of a ROM or some adjustments being made. In my case, I was just browsing when it rebooted itself and got stuck on the X screen (just after the Google screen).

The options that I've found in the forum are:
1) Use Nexus Root Toolkit to reset, unlock, root and possibly relock the tablet.
2) Simply go Bootloading > Recovery mode > Wipe data/factory reset.

Unfortunately, both options involve erasing all the data from the device.

Is there any way to recover the device (turn it on) without loosing the data / how?

Thanks in advance!

TheLastSidekick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1913

DONATE TO ME
Assuming you are already rooted and have a custom recovery and ROM on your internal storage you could try dirty flashing a ROM over it in an attempt to boot.. Other than that idk.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Proud owner of LG Google Nexus 5.

Captain Sweatpants
Old
Thanks Meter 83
If you didn't do anything to the ROM then the probability is that something has become corrupted. Its a problem we are beginning to see a lot of recently. I guess it may be time to start looking at why this happens. Anyway in terms of your data the best I can suggest is if you can get into fastboot mode power + vol down then you may be able to use the command adb pull sdcard I've never tried it but theoretically you should get a dump of all data on the "sdcard" which on the N7 will be the internal storage. Today's buzz word (phrase) is automated backup.

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

MetaDream
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the suggestions.
I was using the stock ROM, and the device was locked.
I couldn't save the data. Tried to go Bootloading > Recovery mode > Wipe data/factory reset and it didn't help.
Tried using Nexus Root Toolkit - unlocked the device and used Flash Stock + Unroot => This have helped for now. Soon I will try some interesting ROM rather than the stock one .. I just need to find some time for this