Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official Samsung Note Pro keyboard cover

Tip us?

wingdo
Old
(Last edited by wingdo; 7th April 2014 at 01:28 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychotxxx View Post
This looks like the same case without the samsung logo and half the cost of the b&h. Is it?http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Keyboa.../dp/B00IRB3ONE
No not even close. I ordered one just like this through Amazon and it is already traveling back to them. The keys are very tiny, it is actually the exact same keyboard as on the 10.1 inch cheap cases, just in a larger case. The keys are almost unusable.

The Samsung keyboard is almost exactly like the Zagg case. Just built more solid, and the Samsung version doesn't use the screen's glass to prop the tablet up. From a "what's best for the tablet" viewpoint, there is no doubt the Samsung keyboard is by far the best of the three "major" brand keyboards. The weight of the tablet is held up by a plastic flap on the back of the keyboard, the tablet itself just sits in the keyboards well (cutout at the bottom). Both the Zagg and the Logitech use the screen's glass to prop up the tablet.

Samsung Galaxy S4: Rooted de-bloated Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014: Stock, rooted, bloat frozen
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: Stock, rooted, de-bloated

D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Samsung Galaxy S4

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
I can't answer about the S-Mouse, but I have no issues with the keyboard and my logitech mouse. I do seldom use a mouse though since the screen is touch.

To be honest, I have all 3 cases with the Zagg sitting in the Best Buy bag waiting to be returned. To me, none of the three are ideal. The Zagg is FAR behind the others though, it feels cheap. The Logitech and the Samsung cases both have advantages and disadvantages. The logitech is an actual folio case, albeit one which is not a very practical case. There is a LOT of give to the case when closed, and when open and folded over in the hands, it can slide all over the place. My one negative with the Samsung case is that the Note Pro can note be placed into the keyboard case screen up, so when using the Note Pro you are just holding the note pro. I have discovered creaky areas on the back plastic I never noticed when using it in a case and it just doesn't quite sit right with me. It can however be used with some folio cases (specifically the ones where the case folds away from the bottom to sit in slots like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Moko-Samsung-G...+pro+12.2+moko

Both keyboards themselves are very good, with a slight nod to the Logitech for feeling the most natural feeling. The Logitech feels like one is using a laptop when you are using it as a keyboard, when using it as a folio, it feels huge compared to the Samsung.

I suspect I will keep both. The Logitech case will be used at home when I don't want to use my desktop (which I find myself using far less since getting the Note Pro), the samsung will travel with me and the above Moku case.

I've owned far more Android tablets than I care to remember (Flyer, ASUS TF300, TF700, Note 10.1 2012, Note 10.1 2014 and the Note Pro), and I must say this is the first tablet / keyboard combo I have been comfortable using. The ASUS keyboards were a joke with their chicklet keys, and I never did find a great case for the new 10.1.
That sucks it won't go in Screen up. I was hoping it would.

wingdo
Old
(Last edited by wingdo; 7th April 2014 at 03:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
That sucks it won't go in Screen up. I was hoping it would.
Well, there are a number of cases which use the open bottom (nothing touches the bottom of the Note when open) design so all of those work great with the keyboard case, as does the Samsung book cover. But yes, I too was quite disappointed that you cannot flip the Note over in the case and just use it like a tablet. Seems like a natural thing to expect and yet neither the Samsung nor the Zagg allow for this.

Who does product testing for these companies? Do they actually try to use their product as people in the real world would?

Edit: They could also have designed this so that the keyboard could snap on to a Note Pro wearing the official Samsung book cover. Heck, that would allow them to sell two items at once.

udolpho
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Portrait?

Quote:
I can't answer about the S-Mouse, but I have no issues with the keyboard and my logitech mouse. I do seldom use a mouse though since the screen is touch.

To be honest, I have all 3 cases with the Zagg sitting in the Best Buy bag waiting to be returned. To me, none of the three are ideal. The Zagg is FAR behind the others though, it feels cheap. The Logitech and the Samsung cases both have advantages and disadvantages. The logitech is an actual folio case, albeit one which is not a very practical case. There is a LOT of give to the case when closed, and when open and folded over in the hands, it can slide all over the place. My one negative with the Samsung case is that the Note Pro can note be placed into the keyboard case screen up, so when using the Note Pro you are just holding the note pro. I have discovered creaky areas on the back plastic I never noticed when using it in a case and it just doesn't quite sit right with me. It can however be used with some folio cases (specifically the ones where the case folds away from the bottom to sit in slots like this one

Both keyboards themselves are very good, with a slight nod to the Logitech for feeling the most natural feeling. The Logitech feels like one is using a laptop when you are using it as a keyboard, when using it as a folio, it feels huge compared to the Samsung.

I suspect I will keep both. The Logitech case will be used at home when I don't want to use my desktop (which I find myself using far less since getting the Note Pro), the samsung will travel with me and the above Moku case.

I've owned far more Android tablets than I care to remember (Flyer, ASUS TF300, TF700, Note 10.1 2012, Note 10.1 2014 and the Note Pro), and I must say this is the first tablet / keyboard combo I have been comfortable using. The ASUS keyboards were a joke with their chicklet keys, and I never did find a great case for the new 10.1.
Hey! Thanks for the review. I just wanted to know whether the samsung case also held in the tablet in portrait mode? Cheers.

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Well, there are a number of cases which use the open bottom (nothing touches the bottom of the Note when open) design so all of those work great with the keyboard case, as does the Samsung book cover. But yes, I too was quite disappointed that you cannot flip the Note over in the case and just use it like a tablet. Seems like a natural thing to expect and yet neither the Samsung nor the Zagg allow for this.

Who does product testing for these companies? Do they actually try to use their product as people in the real world would?

Edit: They could also have designed this so that the keyboard could snap on to a Note Pro wearing the official Samsung book cover. Heck, that would allow them to sell two items at once.
It would be pretty great if it would snap into the keyboard cover with the book cover on. I like the book cover but recently noticed the screen off issue alot and had to start holding it opposite of how I was. Thinking that once I get the mime screen protector I might ditch the book cover and use something like this

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wingdo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolpho View Post
Hey! Thanks for the review. I just wanted to know whether the samsung case also held in the tablet in portrait mode? Cheers.
Yes it can. I didn't think it would, but it seems to do the job nicely.

nychotxxx
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I've finally decided to go with A logitech free standing bluetooth keyboard, the model made for android 3.0+. I don't feel that the keyboard - case combos like the zagg and the logitech are sturdy enough, and are waaay overpriced. Plus, I really prefer my moko case. If I really need to travel with my note pro, it still has to go in a carry case and the external keyboard adds very little more weight. Best buy matched the amazon price of $35.00. Plus, the keyboard does have tablet - specific keys. It's a good combination with the NP12. And the keyboard has good tactile feel.