Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 46,647 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does this phone use a new/different MHL standard than previous HTC phones?

Tip us?

Cyber Akuma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Video [Q] Does this phone use a new/different MHL standard than previous HTC phones?

I know that Saumsung phones have some kind of weird 11-pin MHL port instead of 5, but I don't know if that is just a Samsung thing or a newer standard.

The MHL adapter I have is the official one from HTC for the EVO 3D. I want to upgrade my phone to a M8, but what I want to know is if the EVO 3D adapter will still work, or if I need a new one. And if it does work, would it not support some of the video output features of the M8 since its a EVO 3D adapter, or are they all the same thing?

uh60james
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
I know that Saumsung phones have some kind of weird 11-pin MHL port instead of 5, but I don't know if that is just a Samsung thing or a newer standard.

The MHL adapter I have is the official one from HTC for the EVO 3D. I want to upgrade my phone to a M8, but what I want to know is if the EVO 3D adapter will still work, or if I need a new one. And if it does work, would it not support some of the video output features of the M8 since its a EVO 3D adapter, or are they all the same thing?
That's just a Samsung thing, trying to nickel and dime consumers. Your adapter from the 3D should work just fine. Even if the M8 has MHL 3.0, it is backwards compatible with versions 1 and 2.

Cyber Akuma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
Even if the M8 has MHL 3.0, it is backwards compatible with versions 1 and 2.
Wait, so then are there any MHL 3.0 features the M8 uses which would not work on the EVO 3D adapter?

uh60james
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
Wait, so then are there any MHL 3.0 features the M8 uses which would not work on the EVO 3D adapter?
I don't know if it is MHL 3.0. All the specs I have seen just say MHL and don't denote a version. Was just letting you know that MHL 1 and 2 adapters will continue to work IF it is 3.0.