Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 46,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dust in lens?

Tip us?
 
AlexandreT
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 221
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default Dust in lens?

Hi all,

I just noticed that my SGS4 has some small black spots in the camera. It's just in the main camera, the front camera is OK. They appear in the top quarter of the image.
I already tried cleaning the lens with a micro-fibre cloth but it did nothing.
At first I thought it could be dust beneath the lens but one thing strikes me as odd, these dots remain the same while I change focus from close to far. Shouldn't they change shape while focus distance changes if it was dust? If I zoom in the camera the spots disappear.

I attached a crop of a photo from my phone. Do you think this is dust? What can I do to solve it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-08 23.28.55.jpg
Views:	9157
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	2567645  
 
*boy*racer*
Old
#2  
*boy*racer*'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 407
Posts: 1,216
Join Date: Jan 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Hey. I had the same issue when I had the xperia z. It was no where near as bad though.

I never found out what it was although it did move when I was on video recording. Does it move for you also while video recording?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
AlexandreT
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 221
Join Date: Aug 2010
When I go to video mode it stays in the same place. They only disappear when I zoom the image preview.

Could it be dust? How did it get beneath the lens? This sucks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by *boy*racer* View Post
Hey. I had the same issue when I had the xperia z. It was no where near as bad though.

I never found out what it was although it did move when I was on video recording. Does it move for you also while video recording?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
simon7997
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 85
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lahore
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreT View Post
Hi all,

I just noticed that my SGS4 has some small black spots in the camera. It's just in the main camera, the front camera is OK. They appear in the top quarter of the image.
I already tried cleaning the lens with a micro-fibre cloth but it did nothing.
At first I thought it could be dust beneath the lens but one thing strikes me as odd, these dots remain the same while I change focus from close to far. Shouldn't they change shape while focus distance changes if it was dust? If I zoom in the camera the spots disappear.

I attached a crop of a photo from my phone. Do you think this is dust? What can I do to solve it?
there is a protective plastic on camera lens. check if u have taken it off or not.

see thumbnail
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	2568541
 
AlexandreT
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 221
Join Date: Aug 2010
I took it out when I bought the phone. With naked eye I can't see anything on the lens.


Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7997 View Post
there is a protective plastic on camera lens. check if u have taken it off or not.

see thumbnail
Attachment 2568541


Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
 
AlexandreT
Old
(Last edited by AlexandreT; 10th April 2014 at 06:15 PM.)
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 221
Join Date: Aug 2010
I ended up taking it in for service at a repair center. They replaced the camera module, under warranty. Now the problem is solved.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more