Dust in lens?

Tip us?

AlexandreT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Dust in lens?

Hi all,

I just noticed that my SGS4 has some small black spots in the camera. It's just in the main camera, the front camera is OK. They appear in the top quarter of the image.
I already tried cleaning the lens with a micro-fibre cloth but it did nothing.
At first I thought it could be dust beneath the lens but one thing strikes me as odd, these dots remain the same while I change focus from close to far. Shouldn't they change shape while focus distance changes if it was dust? If I zoom in the camera the spots disappear.

I attached a crop of a photo from my phone. Do you think this is dust? What can I do to solve it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-08 23.28.55.jpg
Views:	9156
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	2567645  

*boy*racer*
Old
Thanks Meter 403

DONATE TO ME
Hey. I had the same issue when I had the xperia z. It was no where near as bad though.

I never found out what it was although it did move when I was on video recording. Does it move for you also while video recording?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AlexandreT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
When I go to video mode it stays in the same place. They only disappear when I zoom the image preview.

Could it be dust? How did it get beneath the lens? This sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *boy*racer* View Post
Hey. I had the same issue when I had the xperia z. It was no where near as bad though.

I never found out what it was although it did move when I was on video recording. Does it move for you also while video recording?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

simon7997
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreT View Post
Hi all,

I just noticed that my SGS4 has some small black spots in the camera. It's just in the main camera, the front camera is OK. They appear in the top quarter of the image.
I already tried cleaning the lens with a micro-fibre cloth but it did nothing.
At first I thought it could be dust beneath the lens but one thing strikes me as odd, these dots remain the same while I change focus from close to far. Shouldn't they change shape while focus distance changes if it was dust? If I zoom in the camera the spots disappear.

I attached a crop of a photo from my phone. Do you think this is dust? What can I do to solve it?
there is a protective plastic on camera lens. check if u have taken it off or not.

see thumbnail
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	2568541

AlexandreT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
I took it out when I bought the phone. With naked eye I can't see anything on the lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7997 View Post
there is a protective plastic on camera lens. check if u have taken it off or not.

see thumbnail
Attachment 2568541

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

AlexandreT
Old
(Last edited by AlexandreT; 10th April 2014 at 06:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
I ended up taking it in for service at a repair center. They replaced the camera module, under warranty. Now the problem is solved.