Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,355 Members 39,190 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SGS3 T999 - Personal Data, Apps, and New ROM(s)

Tip us?

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3634

DONATE TO ME
Yes you will need either CWM or TWRP or something similar such as Philz Touch.

I tend to replace the kernel of Slimkat with KT747. Nothing wrong with the Rom's kernel. Its just my preference.

johnathanamber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Ok,so for any ROMs that are not stock-based, a different recovery is needed other than stock.

Why did you choose that Kernel over others? What does it offer that suits your fancy?

Using the XDA Developers app... OH YEAH!!!

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3634

DONATE TO ME
Sounds about right. Do note, even for Alliance Rom, you'd need Custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. For terminology sake, any recovery that's not stock is called Custom Recovery.

I like KT747 because of the ease and flexibility it offers for profile based Overclocking or Undervolting. See the link in my signature for Undervolting just to give you an Idea.

johnathanamber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Sounds about right. Do note, even for Alliance Rom, you'd need Custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. For terminology sake, any recovery that's not stock is called Custom Recovery.

I like KT747 because of the ease and flexibility it offers for profile based Overclocking or Undervolting. See the link in my signature for Undervolting just to give you an Idea.
That's cool, I'll check it out.

Apologies for all the questions... just thought that I'd get them all out.

One last one, I think... AllianceROM, I've seen several that have specific device models that it should work for... I can't find much about the t999 being supported with AllianceROM. I suppose I can't assume this would work with this model, correct?

Thanks again,
Johnathan

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3634

DONATE TO ME
When it comes to Touchwiz based Roms (AKA Stock Based Roms), if it does not include your device, I wouldn't try it.
Tags
apps, personal data, slimrom, stock rom