Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 49,150 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] rooted droid maxx boot loops after ota attempt

Tip us?

Slarti77
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
Yeah it does! They (vzw) re-released it in January. Its stable. Just follow instructions to a t and you'll be OK. Plenty of help around here as well.

Sent from my KitKat Ultra
Hey Caseyk621,
I thought that the point of Jcases Pre instructions for SlapMyMoto were to start out with:
1. Gain root through RockMyMoto
2. Remove write protiection through MotoWPNO
3. Flash back to stock 4.2.2 (Camera uipdate) and by doing this flash you removed root, but had no write protection so you could put root back on after 4.4 update. Am I reading this wrong? This is important to me bacause I've done step 1 with the sock 4.2.2. (I believe it is the camera update). I'm about to do step 2 to remove write protection and then was going to use HouseOfMoto to do step 3 and move back to stock 4.2.2.

Thx
Phone: Motorola Droid Maxx
Android Version: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.4.42-gl98aafd-00016-g41392953
Baseband version: MSM8960BP_2323.024.95.00R
Build number: SU1-15

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarti77 View Post
Hey Caseyk621,
I thought that the point of Jcases Pre instructions for SlapMyMoto were to start out with:
1. Gain root through RockMyMoto
2. Remove write protiection through MotoWPNO
3. Flash back to stock 4.2.2 (Camera uipdate) and by doing this flash you removed root, but had no write protection so you could put root back on after 4.4 update. Am I reading this wrong? This is important to me bacause I've done step 1 with the sock 4.2.2. (I believe it is the camera update). I'm about to do step 2 to remove write protection and then was going to use HouseOfMoto to do step 3 and move back to stock 4.2.2.

Thx
You are correct. I don't understand what you're asking.

Slarti77
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
You are correct. I don't understand what you're asking.

Sorry for not being clear enough.....

It seemed like you were saying in a previous post that you retained root after you flashed back to 4.2.2 and then carried root into the SlapMyMoto. My understanding was that you lost root when you flashed back to 4.2.2 but since write protection was removed you could regarn root later....after you recieved the OTA update (I think it's after step 3 in SlapMyMoto), you would then reroot in step 4.

Maybe my understanding is flawed....just want to be sure.
Phone: Motorola Droid Maxx
Android Version: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.4.42-gl98aafd-00016-g41392953
Baseband version: MSM8960BP_2323.024.95.00R
Build number: SU1-15

Caseyk621
Old
(Last edited by Caseyk621; 24th January 2014 at 08:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarti77 View Post
Sorry for not being clear enough.....

It seemed like you were saying in a previous post that you retained root after you flashed back to 4.2.2 and then carried root into the SlapMyMoto. My understanding was that you lost root when you flashed back to 4.2.2 but since write protection was removed you could regarn root later....after you recieved the OTA update (I think it's after step 3 in SlapMyMoto), you would then reroot in step 4.

Maybe my understanding is flawed....just want to be sure.
No worries. That's not what I meant if I said it. All I meant is that once that he has rooted 4.2.2 he can start the slapmymoto process. Not actually meaning run the slapmymoto exploit.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616104

[GUIDE V1.6][ROOT][4.2.2 TO 4.4] XT1080/M (Requires Rooted 4.2.2) 01/20/14

I think I was pointing to this thread. Anyways you got it down. You are correct

afrotec
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default FYI

For anybody else encountering this issue in the future, I was able to resolve the power-cycling,constantly resetting after about 15 seconds issue by using TitaniumBackup to remove the MotorolaOTA app. The trick is to place a shortcut to titanium on your home screen, let it reboot, then as soon as your home screen comes back, quickly click the Titanium icon, and use the search box at the top to search for 'OTA', this should give you the few extra seconds you need to uninstall the application. Without using the search function, i was unable to locate the app in time.

best of luck

[Droid Maxx XT1080, Verizon]