Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 41,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Request to Mods for reconsideration

Tip us?
 
AdmiralQ
Old
#1  
AdmiralQ's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Default Request to Mods for reconsideration

To the Mods who insist on closing what they consider "banned" threads:

Please consider the large portion of users of certain ROMs that are no longer in development due to issues beyond users' control. It is not their fault that a Dev decided to do something stupid. Discussions on these ROMs is necessary to help our community work to make our phones better. By not allowing any discussions at all on this, you are pretty much screwing all of us. I implore you to please reopen those closed threads and/or allow discussion on all ROMs that may or may not have been "tainted" by certain issues with "bad" developers. Thanks.
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (AT&T Rooted,stock), HP Touchpad (SCHIZOID 2.11/Web OS)

Past Phones: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC Vivid, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC HD2 (Multiple Android/WM 6.x ROMS), HTC Touch Pro2 (T-Mobile, Multiple Android/WM 6.x ROMS), HTC Shadow, Motorola MPx200
 
440bro
Old
#2  
440bro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 359
Posts: 1,048
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland ROCKS!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQ View Post
To the Mods who insist on closing what they consider "banned" threads:

Please consider the large portion of users of certain ROMs that are no longer in development due to issues beyond users' control. It is not their fault that a Dev decided to do something stupid. Discussions on these ROMs is necessary to help our community work to make our phones better. By not allowing any discussions at all on this, you are pretty much screwing all of us. I implore you to please reopen those closed threads and/or allow discussion on all ROMs that may or may not have been "tainted" by certain issues with "bad" developers. Thanks.
The person who released the rom was banned and accused of scamming xda users. Why would xda want to support that by allowing discussion of his work? I believe xda recommends removing his work, or seek support elsewhere.
 
graydiggy
Old
#3  
graydiggy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2133
Posts: 4,227
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houma, LA

 
DONATE TO ME
By allowing discussion and support of these ROMs, we would be allowing people to be possibly exposed to malicious software. We do not know what, if anything could have been added to the ROMs so it is safer to just remove them all together. It is apparent that the intent was malicious and we do not want any further issues to arise from it. Also, we might be subjected to some backlash from the "developer" because it is his work, and he could say or could have already said we are not allowed to use it or support it.


Something that people fail to realize is there is a method to the madness. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Lost in a paper bag again...
The Following User Says Thank You to graydiggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
AdmiralQ
Old
#4  
AdmiralQ's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy View Post
By allowing discussion and support of these ROMs, we would be allowing people to be possibly exposed to malicious software. We do not know what, if anything could have been added to the ROMs so it is safer to just remove them all together. It is apparent that the intent was malicious and we do not want any further issues to arise from it. Also, we might be subjected to some backlash from the "developer" because it is his work, and he could say or could have already said we are not allowed to use it or support it.


Something that people fail to realize is there is a method to the madness. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
With all due respect, I was, in no way suggesting supporting such ROMs or devs, nor did I mention any such thing. I am merely recommending that discussion of them should be allowed with regards on what to do now that they are no longer supported. I fully understand the implications of what bad things could happen, however a blanket "all discussions are banned - period!" is not good, and I think discussion is necessary to move on and away from potentially bad ROMs and evil devs. Just my $.02
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (AT&T Rooted,stock), HP Touchpad (SCHIZOID 2.11/Web OS)

Past Phones: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC Vivid, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC HD2 (Multiple Android/WM 6.x ROMS), HTC Touch Pro2 (T-Mobile, Multiple Android/WM 6.x ROMS), HTC Shadow, Motorola MPx200
 
kentk
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 53
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cupertino
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy View Post
By allowing discussion and support of these ROMs, we would be allowing people to be possibly exposed to malicious software. We do not know what, if anything could have been added to the ROMs so it is safer to just remove them all together. It is apparent that the intent was malicious and we do not want any further issues to arise from it. Also, we might be subjected to some backlash from the "developer" because it is his work, and he could say or could have already said we are not allowed to use it or support it.


Something that people fail to realize is there is a method to the madness. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I was scammed, I have seen some of the evidence and I agree with the actions xda took.

I wish I had detected the scam sooner. I wish xda had detected it sooner.

I wish I could redirect my donations to a legitimate developer. To me, donations partially compensate for what I cannot yet contribute technically.

I feel stupid and abused by an individual who had no business being here.

Part of what I do is complex embedded firmware and dsp coding. My credits go back as far as the Air Communicator (1995). One of the first integrated cellular data phones.

I join Institutions of knowledge and teaching like xda to learn and improve my tools. Organizations like xda can be destroyed by injecting Comercial schemes where they do not belong.

Altruistic donations to legitimate developers have no doubt been harmed at a minimum.

At some point I will begin developing for the Android platform as well. I hope xda will still be there when I can give back what the community has contributed to me.

My pressing near term question is where can I learn how to safely get off the knoxraid 5.6 platform?

Not that I am qualified to run it, but may I respectfully suggest a thread on how to move off this rom and onto a legitimate developer's work.

I propose the objective would be ONLY moving off, support of Knoxraid would be forbidden.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

Kent Kernahan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
graydiggy
Old
#6  
graydiggy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2133
Posts: 4,227
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houma, LA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentk View Post
I was scammed, I have seen some of the evidence and I agree with the actions xda took.

I wish I had detected the scam sooner. I wish xda had detected it sooner.

I wish I could redirect my donations to a legitimate developer. To me, donations partially compensate for what I cannot yet contribute technically.

I feel stupid and abused by an individual who had no business being here.

Part of what I do is complex embedded firmware and dsp coding. My credits go back as far as the Air Communicator (1995). One of the first integrated cellular data phones.

I join Institutions of knowledge and teaching like xda to learn and improve my tools. Organizations like xda can be destroyed by injecting Comercial schemes where they do not belong.

Altruistic donations to legitimate developers have no doubt been harmed at a minimum.

At some point I will begin developing for the Android platform as well. I hope xda will still be there when I can give back what the community has contributed to me.

My pressing near term question is where can I learn how to safely get off the knoxraid 5.6 platform?

Not that I am qualified to run it, but may I respectfully suggest a thread on how to move off this rom and onto a legitimate developer's work.

I propose the objective would be ONLY moving off, support of Knoxraid would be forbidden.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

Kent Kernahan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
There is a new KK ROM available and another soon to pop up. All you do is upgrade your SS to the latest that supports KK now with and flash one of those ROMs.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Lost in a paper bag again...
 
Gearshift
Old
(Last edited by Gearshift; 11th April 2014 at 03:07 AM.)
#7  
Gearshift's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 89
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
I think what should be done is that a mod should create a stickied thread to be monitored closely, including instructions for how to move from the rom in question to a safe rom. That way it spreads knowledge that the rom is unsafe, to get rid of it, and with instructions to replace so people arent floundering
 
graydiggy
Old
#8  
graydiggy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2133
Posts: 4,227
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houma, LA

 
DONATE TO ME
There is an easy method. Revert to MJ5 thread.

There does not need to be a discussion or a thread involved. It is that simple. The thread is located in the general section.

There are other methods, like what I said above as well. Why do we need a dedicated thread?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Lost in a paper bag again...
 
Gearshift
Old
#9  
Gearshift's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 89
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy View Post
There is an easy method. Revert to MJ5 thread.

There does not need to be a discussion or a thread involved. It is that simple. The thread is located in the general section.

There are other methods, like what I said above as well. Why do we need a dedicated thread?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
You have a point, but the only reason i make the suggestion is that you and I both know damn well no one reads anything but the first post of any thread lol. It may not require an actual thread for discussion (as, there indeed is nothing to be discussed further on the topic), but maybe at least a closed sticky to serve as a public service announcement that will grab peoples eye before they go posting 9 million more annoying threads or responses to irrelevant threads asking about it.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

actually I have a better idea. what if a mod were to edit the thread in the dev section to say something along the lines of "this developement no longer supported by XDA, we suggest moving to another rom/etc here are the current threads for instructions"
 
Stryke_the_Orc
Old
#10  
Stryke_the_Orc's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6782
Posts: 5,836
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maras Dantia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQ View Post
To the Mods who insist on closing what they consider "banned" threads:

Please consider the large portion of users of certain ROMs that are no longer in development due to issues beyond users' control. It is not their fault that a Dev decided to do something stupid. Discussions on these ROMs is necessary to help our community work to make our phones better. By not allowing any discussions at all on this, you are pretty much screwing all of us. I implore you to please reopen those closed threads and/or allow discussion on all ROMs that may or may not have been "tainted" by certain issues with "bad" developers. Thanks.
I implore you to explain to me how, without the developer, discussion of your issues will lead to a resolution?
He is not allowed here and after being banned, as such neither are his works. This isn't unusual and he was not singled out.
Especially in this instance, where he was scamming users for money for devices that he later sold for, you guessed it, even more money...
Users are not being punished by us closing the threads, they're being protected from further abuse and scams. If you're looking to give your money away, I know of a lot of deserving charities that will actually put it to good use.
So, sorry but his threads will remain closed, and this one will also.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stryke_the_Orc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...