Verizon now charging $300 for non 0/0 que

10th April 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

39 posts
More
I looked for a similar thread.

I am swapping out my Droid 4 today, sd card reader died. and one of the FIRST questions from TechII was "Have you rooted your device?"....."You will be charged $300 if your que is not 0/0. You will have "voided warranty" Thankfully I had not.
Then she went on to say they used to just let it go but as of 2013 they starting cracking down...

Just an FYI...
Rich
10th April 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 18

145 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsapf

I looked for a similar thread.

I am swapping out my Droid 4 today, sd card reader died. and one of the FIRST questions from TechII was "Have you rooted your device?"....."You will be charged $300 if your que is not 0/0. You will have "voided warranty" Thankfully I had not.
Then she went on to say they used to just let it go but as of 2013 they starting cracking down...

Just an FYI...
Rich

Does the Droid 4 even keep track of that? Whenever I FRUed my phone I'd always SBF it back to stock, which unrooted it and reverted it back to day 1...I wasn't aware there was anywhere that they could check to see if it had ever been rooted at that point?
10th April 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofis

Does the Droid 4 even keep track of that? Whenever I FRUed my phone I'd always SBF it back to stock, which unrooted it and reverted it back to day 1...I wasn't aware there was anywhere that they could check to see if it had ever been rooted at that point?

Yeah, It is in the Recovery Menu(blue list) look towards the bottom. It's yellow and is supposedly coded in the firmware(beyond my scope), supposedly not hackable(?) but it reads as follows:

que 0/0... that means no root & never rooted

que 0/1 ...." " no current root but was rooted at one point.

que 0/2........"....." " " " twice..etc..

que 1/1....means phone is currently rooted.

Anything except the 1st que 0/0 will cost $300. According to Verizon TechII 4/10/14.
The Following User Says Thank You to richsapf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

145 posts
Lame! At that point, just seek out a refurbished Droid 4 on eBay or elsewhere for less and don't deal with Verizon's equally refurbished replacements.
The Following User Says Thank You to bofis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 04:26 AM   |  #5  
Flag Santa Cruz
Thanks Meter: 11

104 posts
More
Couldn't one just claim ignorance? "My *what* isn't 0/0? I don't know what that is, I bought this phone from a friend" etc.

Or would they just use the fact that the que is not 0/0 to deny a FRU? My earpiece speaker died recently and, needless to say, my phone has been rooted many times... I went to the VZW store and was informed that because the D4 is an older model, they can't guarantee another one (even with my TEP insurance) because there simply might not be any left in the warehouse. I'm gonna try fixing the speaker myself, replacement part is on the way...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread