Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 48,383 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Opinion: S5 Tomorrow

Tip us?

Br4nd3n
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default Opinion: S5 Tomorrow

Hello! I am highly considering getting the S5 tomorrow, I'll be using the at&t next plan which will actually save me money.

However I am on a rooted and flashed MDL S4 which I realize is amazing, since it's not de-qfused.

AT&T said I can get the S5 for a cheaper plan and $50 down, or I could trade in my S4 for $115 credit to cover it all. Should I still keep my S4 and pay the $50 and sell it individually? I think they're going for roughly $250+ still right?

I could also keep the S4 as a backup phone, since it is fully flashable on MDL. Does anyone think the S5 will eventually be flashable and rootable? The reason I am highly considering getting it is for the upgraded camera, as I use it the most. I've already played with a display model in-store and it's feels phenomenonal over the S4 in various ways.

Opinions people?

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 584

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br4nd3n View Post
Hello! I am highly considering getting the S5 tomorrow, I'll be using the at&t next plan which will actually save me money.

However I am on a rooted and flashed MDL S4 which I realize is amazing, since it's not de-qfused.

AT&T said I can get the S5 for a cheaper plan and $50 down, or I could trade in my S4 for $115 credit to cover it all. Should I still keep my S4 and pay the $50 and sell it individually? I think they're going for roughly $250+ still right?

I could also keep the S4 as a backup phone, since it is fully flashable on MDL. Does anyone think the S5 will eventually be flashable and rootable? The reason I am highly considering getting it is for the upgraded camera, as I use it the most. I've already played with a display model in-store and it's feels phenomenonal over the S4 in various ways.

Opinions people?
With the current state of locked S4's, I wouldn't count on the AT&T S5 seeing AOSP ROMs for a while if at all. If you don't want AOSP again until a new phone, then sell the S4. Otherwise, you could keep it around.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SouthernEvo
Old
Thanks Meter 46
For me personally I don't think you will see the S5 rooted . Rumor mills have been churning out all variations of the device will have a locked bootloader . With that being said its possible for root to be achieved but in light of what has been seen in terms of progress on the S4 I wouldn't place money on it . Hell I could be proven wrong simply by typing that but but I doubt it . I have previously owned the S3 and S4 , Both phones were rooted and I absolutely loved them both . As carrier bloatware continues (AT&T) , I want a device I control not the carrier not the manufacturer . For the average user the S5 will more than likely be a very well equipped phone for "their" needs . With that being said , Samsung's actions in terms of locking down software has swayed me to either move to a Nexus device direct from Google . Or even possibly send me in the direction of HTC , which as a company has recorded losses so eh not sure about betting on that horse either . All of this is strictly my two cents .
HTC ONE M8 - Stock Unrooted - AT&T

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 812
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2433789
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.

jeboo
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3931

DONATE TO ME
Rooted and Safestrap maybe; bootloader unlocked or ever run AOSP no.
The Binary Won. Thank you to all the donors!
Check out HomerBall, my free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ag87.homerball
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeboo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rebel1699
Old
Thanks Meter 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboo View Post
Rooted and Safestrap maybe; bootloader unlocked or ever run AOSP no.
Exactly. Welcome to the new Samsung. Trading my S4 for a Nexus 5 as soon as possible. I really miss 180Mb roms and 45Mb gapps. AOSP on any new locked bl Sammy is a pipe dream at this point.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Devices

Galaxy S4 i337 Drowning on MF3
Nexus 7 32Gb MULTIROM w/ Kickflip, Illusion2, Ubuntu Desktop 13.04 and Metallice a54 kernel
Nexus 7 16Gb Multirom w/ Stock and Orca
SkyRocket i727 Powered by Beanstalk 4.3
LG Thrill w/ ICS
Blackberry Z10
Blackberry Torch 9860 OS7
3 D2 7' TabletS w/ICS

"There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, its all dark"
The Following User Says Thank You to rebel1699 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dave5777
Old
Thanks Meter 433

DONATE TO ME
The next plan is a high interest rip off better off paying $199 on a 2 year contract. In one year on next at something like $28 a month you're paying around $336 a year. I agree with rebel Att can have their locked bootloaders.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

amberglatz78@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up S4 Purchase

Having new phone is always beneficial, especially if it is iPhone 4s ...well I think iPhone is good set , I think you should go 50$ deal

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13604
best to use the off topic thread for this..http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2433789
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe