Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,053 Members 46,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG G2 With CM11

Tip us?

Harellevy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
So just download the new nightly and reflash?
Do I need to wipe cache or something?
What if I want to go from nightly to stable or M, then I need to wipe?
Thanks for the help

NIke619
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harellevy View Post
So just download the new nightly and reflash?
Do I need to wipe cache or something?
What if I want to go from nightly to stable or M, then I need to wipe?
Thanks for the help
I've always wiped when updating, after a backup of course!

Harellevy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIke619 View Post
I've always wiped when updating, after a backup of course!
But then you need to download all the apps all over again no?

Gnarfsan
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harellevy View Post
But then you need to download all the apps all over again no?
No, just flash the update zip. (That's called a dirty flash in case you didn't know)

If you use custom kernels, flashed mods or custom system apps, they might have to be reinstalled. You also need to reinstall Xposed Framework from the app if you use that.

But remember to back up your phone in recovery before you update!
Primary device: LG G2 (D802, International)

Harellevy
Old
(Last edited by Harellevy; 11th April 2014 at 12:46 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Okay thanks. 3 last questions (I hope).
I got cm-11-20140410-NIGHTLY
And yesterday released cm-11-20140411-NIGHTLY
Is this an update? Or a completely new nightly? sorry for all the ignorance, I'm totally new to this and android
2. Should I use old M builds or new nightlys? Which one Is more stable
3. If I want to flash M build and I'm currently using nightly, there is a different way or something special I need to do?

marleyinoc
Old
Thanks Meter 32
If you're going from an m build to a nightly, or any other variation (stable to m, etc) then wipe data and cache. Every nightly can be flashed on top of itself. There are more specific things to be said but I'll leave it at that so you don't get yourself bootlooped.

Make sure you make a nandroid before you do anything (I.e. a backup in custom recovery) and it would be a good idea to put that on your pc. Also a good idea to have the files and setup ready to flash your phone back to factory with kdz or tot--that way if you do something boneheaded you won't be in as much of a panic. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have some experience with adb ahead of time--just in case.

If none of that makes sense I'd wait a bit before flashing (though you could go for it and probably make out fine).

VS980 - CM11 nightly

Harellevy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyinoc View Post
If you're going from an m build to a nightly, or any other variation (stable to m, etc) then wipe data and cache. Every nightly can be flashed on top of itself. There are more specific things to be said but I'll leave it at that so you don't get yourself bootlooped.

Make sure you make a nandroid before you do anything (I.e. a backup in custom recovery) and it would be a good idea to put that on your pc. Also a good idea to have the files and setup ready to flash your phone back to factory with kdz or tot--that way if you do something boneheaded you won't be in as much of a panic. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have some experience with adb ahead of time--just in case.

If none of that makes sense I'd wait a bit before flashing (though you could go for it and probably make out fine).

VS980 - CM11 nightly
- nandroid BackUP - Check. i learned how importent and how lucky to do a nandroid backup when i flashed yesterday the cm. bricked my phone 2 times, thanks to nandroid backup didnt need to flash stock.
- stock KDZ - Check. including flashing tool and all that.

what do you prefer, nightly or M? the nightly can go rough just like that in the middle of everything?