Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 47,034 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recover from bad system edit?

Tip us?
 
michaelg117
Old
#1  
michaelg117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 130
Posts: 904
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson
Default [Q] Recover from bad system edit?

I have a kindle fire HD 8.9, where a system framework file was edited and turns out to be bad.

When i try to boot it fails and defaults to recovery where i have two options, to reboot, or wipe data (which i have done extensively). I want to flash a full brand new system image to get the kindle like new, (note: It was on system 8.4.6 i believe) so that i can go the road of android. If possible, please leave a way to revert to an old system version.

Also, this cannot be recognized in fastboot because it boots straight to the recovery when given the fastboot command to boot to fastboot.

Much thanks.

@Hashcode (I figure youd be able to help the most)
Verizon GS4
  • SafeStrap
  • HyperDrive Rom
  • Heavily Modified With Xposed

Kindle Fire HD8.9
  • Rooted w/Second Bootloader
  • CM11
  • CrossBreeder Tweaks
 
michaelg117
Old
#2  
michaelg117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 130
Posts: 904
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg117 View Post
I have a kindle fire HD 8.9, where a system framework file was edited and turns out to be bad.

When i try to boot it fails and defaults to recovery where i have two options, to reboot, or wipe data (which i have done extensively). I want to flash a full brand new system image to get the kindle like new, (note: It was on system 8.4.6 i believe) so that i can go the road of android. If possible, please leave a way to revert to an old system version.

Also, this cannot be recognized in fastboot because it boots straight to the recovery when given the fastboot command to boot to fastboot.

Much thanks.

@Hashcode (I figure youd be able to help the most)
the fastboot 0x1949 getvar product doesnt seem to work now, it just shows the charging sign
Verizon GS4
  • SafeStrap
  • HyperDrive Rom
  • Heavily Modified With Xposed

Kindle Fire HD8.9
  • Rooted w/Second Bootloader
  • CM11
  • CrossBreeder Tweaks
 
jmpiv4
Old
(Last edited by jmpiv4; 11th April 2014 at 05:12 AM.)
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 37
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg117 View Post
the fastboot 0x1949 getvar product doesnt seem to work now, it just shows the charging sign
turn off the kindle, type the fastboot command, when it says "waiting", then plugin the kindle
 
stunts513
Old
#4  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603
Posts: 2,187
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Braunfels, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
This is always a pain, if you have never installed the fastboot driver you will have to install the driver when it briefly appears before that command will work, that's why this process is so much easier on Ubuntu 13.10. If you boot a live CD there's no drivers to install, you just need to run a few commands, 2 for the package manager then the fastboot command itself.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
 
michaelg117
Old
#5  
michaelg117's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 130
Posts: 904
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
This is always a pain, if you have never installed the fastboot driver you will have to install the driver when it briefly appears before that command will work, that's why this process is so much easier on Ubuntu 13.10. If you boot a live CD there's no drivers to install, you just need to run a few commands, 2 for the package manager then the fastboot command itself.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
I was able to do this with modded drivers when it popped up in device manager, after removing driver verification(stupid windows 8...) , then use one of the various tools to get into fastboot because for some reason the normal command wouldn't do the job, then i used yet another tool to revert to 8.1.4, and i am now happily running ParanoidAndroid

EDIT: Thanks for the drivers by the way!
Verizon GS4
  • SafeStrap
  • HyperDrive Rom
  • Heavily Modified With Xposed

Kindle Fire HD8.9
  • Rooted w/Second Bootloader
  • CM11
  • CrossBreeder Tweaks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes