Originally Posted by retalger
I BET THATS IT! i installed the custom rom, so debugging needs to be turned back on. the setting was overwritten with the new rom flash. duh! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
for those of you coming to this thread after me, enable developer mode by going to Settings > About Phone and tapping on Build Number 7
Update: this did solve my problem/question. also watch cyanogenmod's screen. it will ask you to confirm debugging mode use each time or you can say its ok from this pc all the time. the latter worked best for me. another thing i ran into was phone would not power off unless i unplugged the usb cable. if i asked it to power off with the usb cable plugged in, it rebooted instead.
here's how i resolved my complete question:
1) enabled developer mode by going to Settings > About Phone and tapping on Build Number 7
2) activated advanced boot options by going to Settings > Developer Options > Advanced reboot (check it)
3) told phone to always allow debugging mode from my/this pc
4) booted into fastboot mode
5) plugged in usb cable
6) entered the command "adb reboot-bootloader" to switch to fastboot mode
7) entered the command "fastboot devices" to ensure i was in fastboot mode
8) entered the command "mfastboot flash recovery <downloaded.img>" to flash cwm
9) unplugged usb cable
10) reboot into recovery to verify flash was successful