Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,054 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Which version to get for full radios support on T-Mobile?

Tip us?

Mpegger
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Which version to get for full radios support on T-Mobile?

Seeing as how the $640 price tag for the T-Mobile M8 is only that price with a plan, and I intend to use it on prepaid, I cannot get the M8 from T-Mobile without a $100-$150 price hike, and that's before taxes.

As I travel alot outside of the NYC area, I will more then likely (if Sprint is any indication) encounter various areas that would require all the radios T-Mobile supports in order to have the fastest data speeds possible at all (most) times. I have read that the AT&T version should have full support of the T-Mobile radios, however, they have a radio disabled (in rom? hardware?) and it won't support all the T-Mobile radios, and that the Google Play version is based on the AT&T hardware.

So I am confused on which M8 I should get to have full radio support for T-Mobile networks. Google Play? Unlocked? Straight from HTC/unlocked? If the AT&T based hardware has the radio support, and can have it re-enabled with a future patch, will it even matter which version I get now?

pudgewack
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I can not find the link, but the Google Play Edition and the TMO version should be fully compatible with TMO. Both those versions have access to the AWS band for HSPA.....there is talk about being able to unlock the AWS bands on the Dev, unlocked, and ATT versions, but as far as I know, it has not been confirmed yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mpegger
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgewack View Post
I can not find the link, but the Google Play Edition and the TMO version should be fully compatible with TMO. Both those versions have access to the AWS band for HSPA.....there is talk about being able to unlock the AWS bands on the Dev, unlocked, and ATT versions, but as far as I know, it has not been confirmed yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I remember a thread like that too. The posters were not 100% sure if all the radios were unlocked, which is what I was referencing in my OP. I don't want to get the GPE just because it "should" support it, I want it to be 100% sure it fully supports every frequency that T-Mobile uses (even if it has to be unlocked to do so).

pudgewack
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpegger View Post
I remember a thread like that too. The posters were not 100% sure if all the radios were unlocked, which is what I was referencing in my OP. I don't want to get the GPE just because it "should" support it, I want it to be 100% sure it fully supports every frequency that T-Mobile uses (even if it has to be unlocked to do so).
Here is the link that confirms the GPE is fully compatible with TMO:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7893/t...-one-m8-review