Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,688 Members 40,734 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Infuriating Bluetooth Controller Lag on S4

Tip us?

AlexBridgez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy [Q] Infuriating Bluetooth Controller Lag on S4

I've got a GS4 running 4.4.2 AOSP (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544474) and I want to use my Moga Pro Power (http://androidspin.com/wp-content/up...-Pro-Power.png) to play games like NFS MW and emulators like Super Gnes but I get an infuriating lag of ~0.4 of a second between pushing a button and the action happening, making games like Super Mario World on Gnes impossible. I've also tried a dualshock 3 controller over bluetooth and the lag is still there. If I use the PS3 controller plugged in with an OTG then the input lag is unnoticable. Is there anything I can do to improve the lag since I've read reviews and other xda threads which say the Moga works great?

sputnik767
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Similar issue with the Nintendo Wii controller on both my S4 and Note 8. It worked fine on my previous Asus Transformer Prime from what I remember. It just may be how bluetooth is configured on our devices. Likewise, I have the same issue with my car's stereo, when I try to control the music playback. I wonder if there is a way to adjust it, but I doubt it.

AlexBridgez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
So this looks like a Samsung issue then..... Were you running stock TouchWiz on your devices? What version of android were you using? I've looked all over the internet for someone with a similar problem with no luck. The strange thing is that I also get the lag on my Asus Nexus 7 with both my dualshock and moga.

Can the kernel affect Bluetooth performance because I've got a custom kernel that came with the AOSP rom?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sputnik767
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBridgez View Post
So this looks like a Samsung issue then..... Were you running stock TouchWiz on your devices? What version of android were you using? I've looked all over the internet for someone with a similar problem with no luck. The strange thing is that I also get the lag on my Asus Nexus 7 with both my dualshock and moga.

Can the kernel affect Bluetooth performance because I've got a custom kernel that came with the AOSP rom?

I was running stock TouchWiz, with versions 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. I have not tried it on 4.4.2. I would think that the kernel could have an effect on the bluetooth performance, but I don't know enough to say that it's the only thing.

AlexBridgez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I see, I rechecked and actually also have a noticeable lag when using my sixaxis plugged in to both the S4 and nexus 7 (not as bad but still quite noticeable) which could mean this is a general input issue just more noticeable on Bluetooth.... What factors could affect input lag from external devices?

Tags
bluetooth, galaxy s4, lag, moga, ps3 controller