XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Z1 Compact assign physical Camera button to launch other camera app

Tip us?

thermalboyz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Default Z1 Compact assign physical Camera button to launch other camera app

I've been using the physical camera button to launch camera when out about. The reason I asked this here as I found the Stock camera app is not that good for auto focus (Iíve tried Manual too) compare to other camera apps such as FX cam, cymera, etc.

I would like to know are there any way to assign the camera button to launch a different app + it will work on Lock Screen too? So far I found nothing yet as I guess a special ROM needed to do this function. I am rooted and would like to know if something Xposed can do without flashing ROM. (Reason Ė I like the Xperia Stock)

Thank you and letís see if this is achievable to make life easier for people do not like the Xperia Stock Camera.

skochxxl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Camera Bump

I would like to bump up this thread as I'm also looking for a way to assign a different camera app with the hardware button.

sander151187
Old
Thanks Meter 6
2nd that! Would be nice if that button is customizable as it's pointless if you use a different camera app.

dragonii
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalboyz View Post
I've been using the physical camera button to launch camera when out about. The reason I asked this here as I found the Stock camera app is not that good for auto focus (Iíve tried Manual too) compare to other camera apps such as FX cam, cymera, etc.

I would like to know are there any way to assign the camera button to launch a different app + it will work on Lock Screen too? So far I found nothing yet as I guess a special ROM needed to do this function. I am rooted and would like to know if something Xposed can do without flashing ROM. (Reason Ė I like the Xperia Stock)

Thank you and letís see if this is achievable to make life easier for people do not like the Xperia Stock Camera.
From my Samsung days, I remember that there was a file containing all the key layout maps to the physical keys. After editting it, I was able to use the volume keys as HOME and BACK. I suppose that in Sony it should be the same principle for the camera key.

I don't remember the location by heart and I don't have my phone with at the moment but try looking into /data/system/user/key-layout something file. Open it under a text editor, change it, save and reboot.

shotgunj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have another question. I feel like posting it here haha.

I have noticed that the stock camera app saves your settings when you open it from the icon but when you use the physical button it is always on superior auto. Is there a way to keep my manual settings when opening it with the button?

Sent from my D5503

einfachgaer
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I've installed the gallery from a different rom and disabled the Sony camera via titanium backup. Now if I press the physical camera button when the phone is on and unlocked the "new" camera starts. I did not change anything else. Sadly I cannot start the camera from lockscreen anymore, but that's fine for me.
Xperia Z1c signature in work..

Alie360
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I have disabled the standard camera app from settings and now pressing the physical button starts the other camera that i've downloaded from play store, simple as that

Tags
assign app, camera, camera button