Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,614 Members 44,432 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Decompiling framework-res.apk and soft brick

Tip us?

rodin95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Decompiling framework-res.apk and soft brick

I am trying to edit the arrays.xml file in the framework-res.apk file to do the hotspot hack, however, when I copy the new framework-res.apk file to my system folder, change permissions to 0644, then move it to framework, the phone crashes and goes into soft brick. Even if I push it over by adb shell and issuing stop, it still soft bricks on reboot. Everything appears to be good, the APK file says completed with no errors, etc. Any thoughts?

NOTE: I know there's a different hotspot hack available, but I was wanting to try something new to me, which is editing the files myself.

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin95 View Post
I am trying to edit the arrays.xml file in the framework-res.apk file to do the hotspot hack, however, when I copy the new framework-res.apk file to my system folder, change permissions to 0644, then move it to framework, the phone crashes and goes into soft brick. Even if I push it over by adb shell and issuing stop, it still soft bricks on reboot. Everything appears to be good, the APK file says completed with no errors, etc. Any thoughts?

NOTE: I know there's a different hotspot hack available, but I was wanting to try something new to me, which is editing the files myself.
I don't believe it will work by pushing it into system via a file explorer or adb. I have flashed it using a zip in custom recover, i.e. safestrap. Glad to see someone trying to learn. I commend you for that.

rodin95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I was able to copy the Verizon framework file over using the same method, and the phone works fine, except there are a few minor issues using that framework (items are not labeled correctly, incorrect ASCII characters in random places on screen, etc.

When I modify the framework file, it sits on the white ATT screen, and flashes "bright to dark" every 10 seconds or so..like it does when it does a normal boot, but it never boots.

Always willing to learn