Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kitkat installation stuck on reboot of phone. Can't use!

Tip us?
 
need4spd
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default Kitkat installation stuck on reboot of phone. Can't use!

Help I accidentally hit the start for the installation on my note 3 for kitkat as it's been nagging at me for weeks.

Before I could pull the battery the phone turned off. Now the phone is only booting to the kitkat installation screen.
How do i cancel this?!

I am afraid to let it finish so my phone will be stuck with kitkat from here on out.

Kitkat on my gf's note 3 lost:
free wifi tethering
no vpn functionality


When phone turns on it says, Recovery booting at the top then goes right into installation of kitkat. I've been pulling the battery each time as soon as it does start loading kitkat.
 
bryanthomas007
Old
#2  
bryanthomas007's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lawrence
I just upgraded to Kit Kat and get better battery life and the device is faster. I'm also rooted running stock.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 
need4spd
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanthomas007 View Post
I just upgraded to Kit Kat and get better battery life and the device is faster. I'm also rooted running stock.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Yes but now if you try to share your internet with wifi tethering it will accumulate data against you.
Or if you ever want to use your vpn service you are shafted also.
 
bryanthomas007
Old
#4  
bryanthomas007's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 112
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lawrence
I understand. I'm not sure if you can go back at this point. Keep searching the forums. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 
drathian1
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 65
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
Yes but now if you try to share your internet with wifi tethering it will accumulate data against you.
Or if you ever want to use your vpn service you are shafted also.
That's not entirely true about the wifi tethering. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=70

I can't speak to anything about the VPN functionality since I've never used it.
 
need4spd
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drathian1 View Post
That's not entirely true about the wifi tethering. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=70

I can't speak to anything about the VPN functionality since I've never used it.
Yes to get wifi tethering to work in kitkat requires rooting my phone which voids warranty. Voiding my warranty isn't quite a fix. I'd rather just not have kitkat.
 
drathian1
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 65
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
Yes to get wifi tethering to work in kitkat requires rooting my phone which voids warranty. Voiding my warranty isn't quite a fix. I'd rather just not have kitkat.
What? Explain that to me.

You can root 4.4.2 without tripping knox. If you have a warranty claim, just unroot and your Knox will still say 0x0. How does that void your warranty?

I'm 4.4.2 and rooted with Knox showing 0x0 right now.
 
need4spd
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drathian1 View Post
What? Explain that to me.

You can root 4.4.2 without tripping knox. If you have a warranty claim, just unroot and your Knox will still say 0x0. How does that void your warranty?

I'm 4.4.2 and rooted with Knox showing 0x0 right now.
I've never seen any info on rooting kitkat on a note 3 that won't trip knox. Where is this method located?

This is the only one i've seen.
http://www.theandroidsoul.com/root-t...-n900tuvucnb4/

If i can get rooting on kitkat i am half way there. Just will have to live without vpn.
 
drathian1
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 65
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
Yes to get wifi tethering to work in kitkat requires rooting my phone which voids warranty. Voiding my warranty isn't quite a fix. I'd rather just not have kitkat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
I've never seen any info on rooting kitkat on a note 3 that won't trip knox. Where is this method located?

This is the only one i've seen.
http://www.theandroidsoul.com/root-t...-n900tuvucnb4/

If i can get rooting on kitkat i am half way there. Just will have to live without vpn.
This is the method I used: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=73

I can confirm it works, but if you took the OTA I'm not sure if there's a way to do it. This method involves starting from a rooted 4.3 with Knox still at 0x0.

Good luck!
 
need4spd
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drathian1 View Post
What? Explain that to me.

You can root 4.4.2 without tripping knox. If you have a warranty claim, just unroot and your Knox will still say 0x0. How does that void your warranty?

I'm 4.4.2 and rooted with Knox showing 0x0 right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drathian1 View Post
This is the method I used: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=73

I can confirm it works, but if you took the OTA I'm not sure if there's a way to do it. This method involves starting from a rooted 4.3 with Knox still at 0x0.

Good luck!
ah yes. If only i wasn't halfway through a ota update.... Hopefully someone knows how to cancel this installation.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...