Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,723 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why AT&T has support for more LTE bands?

Tip us?

Tidbits
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Like I said earlier a subsidization is a subsidization. Google takes at least $50 hit per device more than likely. They'll make that back in the first month of you owning it. Also there are things not on the Nexus which they don't have to pay royalties and licensing.

Sony is a bad example you bring up to back yourself. Have you seen Sony prices without any sales? If they actually brought out the Z1 months ago they'd want over $700 while the Z1S with less spectrum and no headphones, and less metal going for $600.

Yes companies could make one model, but not everyone is willing to pay for it. Sadly we are the minority.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

kirdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidbits View Post
Like I said earlier a subsidization is a subsidization. Google takes at least $50 hit per device more than likely. They'll make that back in the first month of you owning it. Also there are things not on the Nexus which they don't have to pay royalties and licensing.

Sony is a bad example you bring up to back yourself. Have you seen Sony prices without any sales? If they actually brought out the Z1 months ago they'd want over $700 while the Z1S with less spectrum and no headphones, and less metal going for $600.

Yes companies could make one model, but not everyone is willing to pay for it. Sadly we are the minority.

Alright will make it simple.

HTC One M8 Google play edition - $700 (Has all necessary radios including AWS HSPA 1700 band)

HTC One M8 unlocked and Dev edition - $700 (Missing the AWS HSPA 1700 band)

Enough said.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tidbits
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Who's to say Google doesn't kick anything back to HTC. Show me something either way showing Google does and doesn't and that "proof" doesn't prove a thing. Google could take a $50 hit for all we know.

kirdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidbits View Post
Who's to say Google doesn't kick anything back to HTC. Show me something either way showing Google does and doesn't and that "proof" doesn't prove a thing. Google could take a $50 hit for all we know.

Wow you are in denial. Unlocked, Developer editions are basically AT&T sku.

From Anand tech review of M8.

"As far as I can tell only the AT&T and Google Play Edition SKUs support carrier aggregation. The two SKUs are quite similar from a cellular standpoint, with the AT&T model locking out UMTS band 4 to discourage movement to T-Mobile. "

http://anandtech.com/show/7893/the-htc-one-m8-review

Tidbits
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdroid View Post
Wow you are in denial. Unlocked, Developer editions are basically AT&T sku.

From Anand tech review of M8.

"As far as I can tell only the AT&T and Google Play Edition SKUs support carrier aggregation. The two SKUs are quite similar from a cellular standpoint, with the AT&T model locking out UMTS band 4 to discourage movement to T-Mobile. "

http://anandtech.com/show/7893/the-htc-one-m8-review

Anyway anandtech doesn't prove a thing sorry. It just shows hardware and no actual licensing deals or costs between carrier, Google, and HTC. I want to see the DEALS between companies not the hardware. It is already WIDELY known spectrum licensing on devices isn't all or nothing. Also ordering 1M units is different than ordering 5M units, or even 10M units.

As I said before they CAN do it, but MOST people aren't willing to pay for it. Your example the Z1 reflects this when not comparing sales. Are you willing to pay $100 for your M8?

kirdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Yes I'm am... And you are not providing any facts other than arguing while I have provided so many. And you don't know more compared to anandtech otherwise we will not be here. What licensing? The radio is already there on the hardware. Can you show me some facts about these spectrum licensing thing you are talking about.

Tidbits
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Yes I'm am... And you are not providing any facts other than arguing while I have provided so many. And you don't know more compared to anandtech otherwise we will not be here. What licensing? The radio is already there on the hardware. Can you show me some facts about these spectrum licensing thing you are talking about.

I guess you didn't read everything I said go back. Back in 2009 there was a lot of talk about it. There's more involved than just the radio...

Anandtech does not take into account the amount ordered, and the price per unit within the deals. That greatly affects the product. This is KNOWN business and FACTS.

A $50 difference affects people perception on buying an item. GPE vs. Dev is a perfect example of them. People cried that the fact GPE was $50 more expensive than unlocked without knowing the Dev price was a $50 sale. Most people said they should buy the dev and unlocked over the GPE and put GPE on it. I see this on multiple forums including this one. Without knowing how much Google is paying per unit and if they do subsidize some of the cost to keep it under $700.

Now the AT&T and T-Mobile version are both $640 support less spectrum than the GPE version which chances are $20-30 of that discount is units order and removes headphones and case (which increases the cost per unit).

So now show me these deals

kirdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Known business and facts? From where? Can you show me these known business and facts?

If I was making deals and able to show that, I would not be arguing with you.

Tidbits
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Known business and facts? From where? Can you show me these known business and facts?

If I was making deals and able to show that, I would not be arguing with you.

You win... The only way you are going to understand is if you start your own carrier, or start building your own device. You win, and I know absolutely nothing. Complain all you want about it will not happen because people are not willing to pay for it. It's that simple. Have fun.

jonathan413
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Have an unlocked att variant and I'm getting LTE on T-Mobile . My area is refarmed I'd that matters.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app