Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,914 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tip us?

samsung striker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Avatar ROM QS

For anyone that is, or have used this ROM before, is it a stable ROM? Also, how much internal memory will my fascinate have once i flash it?

skepticmisfit
Old
Thanks Meter 122
dude, stop spamming the forums with simplistic questions. just try the ROM out, make a nandroid backup before you flash. questions like these are what people think will be the death of xda.

hhp_211
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung striker View Post
For anyone that is, or have used this ROM before, is it a stable ROM? Also, how much internal memory will my fascinate have once i flash it?
Yes quit spamming, I've answered you before too.

Same as that always have had since about jellybean 4.1.x ROMs

Approximately

373 mb memory
591 mb /system

You still have the approx. 1.5 gb storage too, its just now partitioned differently.

Here are some posts referencing the changes that were made.

Just as i said earlier around jb 4.1 (cm 10) ( or about August-December 2012 ) is when the second wave of partitioning happened, previously with cm7 it changed too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=772

24th September 2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makelegs
FWIW.... My impression is that this change back to datadata is "different" from the original iteration, somehow. I don't pretend to understand it; especially since I never owned an Aries phone. Perhaps JT will weigh in, if he cruises through here, soon. I know that the patchsets have been updated even since my recent builds, so it continues to be fine tuned. Ultimately should result in more available storage than there originally was with datadata, though.

Could be a little choppy as they nail it down though. I figured the least we could do was help them troubleshoot it, so I added it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jt1134
Thanks for doing a build with those changes. Things work well on the fascinate as-is. Right now just fine tuning things so that device encryption will work and fixing the layout for gsm devices.

These changes are similar to what der teufel has been doing with his ROM, though the layout is just a little different.

Basically the OneNAND space currently used for /data will be changed to /datadata, and 2 partitions on the eMMC will be combined and split into 2 logical volumes, one for /system, the other for /data. This will give 400mb for /system, 468mb for /datadata, 1.33gb for /data, and 128mb for /cache.

This will give the user much more room for apps/etc, will still keep the speed benefits for having writable data on the OneNAND, and leave plenty of room for android upgrades. Only downside I can see is that user data will be wiped during the update.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1181

hhp_211

22nd August 2012, 10:07 AM

from JT posts...:::

The nightly builds are using the exact same base code and kernel that my builds have used.

As for compatible kernels, you'll have to ask the other respective developers. I don't have the time to keep up with what everyone else is doing.

Dalvik cache is relocated to a separate partition

The best part about squashing bugs is feeling their exoskeletons crunch and the juices squeeze out. I've squashed bugs relating to the device reporting the wrong BT MAC address (should fix BT tethering) and the video camera flash. Working on fixing the torch app (cuz I like it). Yes, I've been drinking. Thank you to anyone who has donated recently, I can now consume a bit of alcohol and somewhat escape the 2 extremely stressful jobs that I work at 65+ hours a week.

That said, to answer some FAQ's I'll answer this one time:

System and data partitions have been SWAPPED. The I500 has 2 internal memory chips. The OneNAND (that Samsung ships for system and other storage) and the eMMC (that Samsung ships for data and cache storage). The OneNAND is a total of 512mb and contains system, along with the kernel and recovery images, bootloaders, etc. The eMMC is ~1.5gb and is used for data storage. In the newest builds, system is now stored on the eMMC, data is stored on the OneNAND, and cache has been moved to /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 which is a previously unused (by us, used by Samsung/Vzw for their stupid paid apps like tetris and other bull****) that is on the eMMC. This eliminates the "lag" experienced in earlier builds due to the fact that write speeds on the OneNAND are extremely faster than write speeds on the eMMC (Samsung should've never shipped those stupid, ****ty-ass chips to begin with).

This means that with the bootloaders, kernel, etc there is only 468mb left for data storage, along with a ****load of extra storage available for system. This is bad due to the fact we have less data storage space, and good due to the fact the device now performs much better and future versions of android will have plenty of system space available to them. Just the upgrade from ICS to JB alone requires nearly an additional 100mb of space for system. If you're running low on data storage, either move apps to the sdcard, or if you're crafty enough, move certain apps to /system/app. Things like updated Google apps (Market, Maps, etc) are perfectly fine working from /system/app, and can conserve lots of space. Attemping to do other trickery like place certain chunks of data onto the eMMC without impacting performance is both difficult to maintain and a pain the ass to come up with anyways. It is what it is, and it'll stay that way.

Currently Running :: Something with some kind of Kernel
Samsung Fascinate SCH-i500
[Kernels] Flashable Jellybean 4.2.x || 4.3 || & tweaks[`Kernels`&`Recovery`] Flashable KitKat || 4.4.x || & Tweaks
Links to Fascinate Android 4.2 and Older filesLinks to Fascinate Android 4.3 and Newer files
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=4298..........http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=7312