Unbelieveable bug in Gear!

Search This thread

Killerheels

Jan 25, 2014
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
New version has been installed today and after much trial and error a full re-install from scratch of the Gear and Gear manager I have got it all working.

But...... if I open Gear manager, all the non Gear apps disappear! This is in addition to the check box for non approved apps being d/l on the Gear Manager.

So the only way to prevent this is to open the Gear manager, change settings as desired and then close Gear manager.

Then reboot Gear. This brings back all the hidden apps.......

So you can't have Gear Manager and Gear both open!

WTF!

Last edited:

Killerheels

Jan 25, 2014
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
That may be so.

But why did this not happen with previous releases of the Gear Manager? Until yesterday my Gear was running like a dream.

And why am I seemimgly allowed to install 3rd party apps on Gear manager and on the Gear if then I am not allowed to have both operating at the same time? This is illogical.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
That may be so.

But why did this not happen with previous releases of the Gear Manager? Until yesterday my Gear was running like a dream.

And why am I seemimgly allowed to install 3rd party apps on Gear manager and on the Gear if then I am not allowed to have both operating at the same time? This is illogical.

I hate to break it to you, although the only way you will be able to access your third party apps is by using a third party launcher.

The list of apps which appear in the stock touchwiz launcher are retrieved from a file sent by gear manager. Any apps which have not been installed using gear manager will simply disappear.

I guess its Samsung ways to combat rooting & custom roms.

Reactions: znube63

Killerheels

Jan 25, 2014
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I hate to break it to you, although the only way you will be able to access your third party apps is by using a third party launcher.

The list of apps which appear in the stock touchwiz launcher are retrieved from a file sent by gear manager. Any apps which have not been installed using gear manager will simply disappear.

Well my side loaded apps didn't disappear on previous releases! And I could have Gear Manager open at the same time too.
Not to be able to is daft.

The sideloaded apps are infact only hidden and still loaded on the Gear of course. I know they don't appear in Manager. I think they did once on my first Gear release. And Samsung does permit apps not created by itself to be installed on the Gear, there is a check box for that purpose.

CareDood

Mar 2, 2012

Shortcuts made from Gear Manager on 3rd party apps wont dissapear, altough they are gone from the app-list.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Well my side loaded apps didn't disappear on previous releases! And I could have Gear Manager open at the same time too.

The sideloaded apps are infact only hidden and still loaded on the Gear of course. I know they don't appear in Manager. I think they did once on my first Gear release. And Samsung does permit apps not created by itself to be installed on the Gear, there is a check box for that purpose.

Your absolutely correct, previous releases did not have this "issue" that we like to refer to it as.. Your also correct about the apps simply not being listed in the drawer, they most definitely still exist on the OS.

Its no mistake that this is happening.

The third party option in gear manager is for apps being installed on the gear via the mobile device by other means rather then the Samsung store... this does not affect apps installed directly on the gear OS.

Keep in mind Samsung never imagined the gear to be used as a standalone device.. I regret to say the only way to get around this at this stage is to use a custom launcher.

Shortcuts made from Gear Manager on 3rd party apps wont dissapear, altough they are gone from the app-list.

Correct they use different configuration files.

Last edited:
Reactions: znube63

Killerheels

Jan 25, 2014
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Your absolutely correct, previous releases did not have this "issue" that we like to refer to it as.. Your also correct about the apps simply not being listed in the drawer, they most definitely still exist on the OS.

The third party option in gear manager is for apps being installed on the gear via the mobile device by other means rather then the Samsung store... this does not affect apps installed directly on the gear OS.

Keep in mind Samsung never imagined the gear to be used as a standalone device.. I regret to say the only way to get around this at this stage is to use a custom launcher.

Thank you for your answer. So what custom launcher do you recommend?

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS

Sadly theres no launcher which behave's and appears like the stock Samsung launcher without some tinkering.

I personally use Nova launcher combined with Desktop VisualizeR to get a "stock like" appearance..

Alternatively tho, if you dont mind going without the large full page icons you can simply just use Novalauncher by its self.

Desktop visualizer allows you to add widgets to your homescreen, which behave like app shortcuts. You can also set how large you want these widgets to be..

Here is a quick preview of my current setup using the applications above (Screenshots are a little old, disregard the dates shown):

2pyoy2r.png

2dcbc03.png

15zjl03.png

As you can see it appears very much like the stock launcher, with a few enhancements ofcoarse.. keep it mind you will have to configure a few things in order to get it to look this way.

You can also configure a dock like a full size android device, I set mine to auto hide and appear if I double tap the screen:

2eoxx8y.png

I also use a custom widget for my clock face, although you can easily use the stock watch faces if you wish... if you wish to use the stock watch faces I recommend using Apex launcher rather than Novalauncher. The reason for this is Novalauncher will leave a margin around the widgets which causes a gap. Apex launcher has a setting which will allow you to disable this margin and have a full screen appearance similar to the stock Touchwiz launcher.

This post has become a little longer that I hoped it would be, Sorry about that ! Hopefully this does help tho, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
How are you displaying your phone's battery percentage on the Gear?

I use a application called tasker on my phone to trigger a event everytime my battery changes, that sends the current battery percentage to my gear. Tasker on my gear then stores that battery percentage into a variable and then zooper widget uses that same variable to display the percentage on my gear homescreen.

Last edited:

Killerheels

Jan 25, 2014
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Sadly theres no launcher which behave's and appears like the stock Samsung launcher without some tinkering.

I personally use Nova launcher combined with Desktop VisualizeR to get a "stock like" appearance..

Alternatively tho, if you dont mind going without the large full page icons you can simply just use Novalauncher by its self.

Desktop visualizer allows you to add widgets to your homescreen, which behave like app shortcuts. You can also set how large you want these widgets to be..

Here is a quick preview of my current setup using the applications above (Screenshots are a little old, disregard the dates shown):

2pyoy2r.png

2dcbc03.png

15zjl03.png

As you can see it appears very much like the stock launcher, with a few enhancements ofcoarse.. keep it mind you will have to configure a few things in order to get it to look this way.

You can also configure a dock like a full size android device, I set mine to auto hide and appear if I double tap the screen:

2eoxx8y.png

I also use a custom widget for my clock face, although you can easily use the stock watch faces if you wish... if you wish to use the stock watch faces I recommend using Apex launcher rather than Novalauncher. The reason for this is Novalauncher will leave a margin around the widgets which causes a gap. Apex launcher has a setting which will allow you to disable this margin and have a full screen appearance similar to the stock Touchwiz launcher.

This post has become a little longer that I hoped it would be, Sorry about that ! Hopefully this does help tho, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks! Brilliant information.

So dumb question - do I just side load these to the Gear? I will try Novalauncher as I have a custom face via watchstyler.

Reactions: animatechnica

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
I use Nova and an app called giganticon which let's you install huge app icons on the screen. I will give desktop visualizer a try tho

Sent from my Lenovo K900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: koalauk

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I use a application called tasker on my phone to trigger a event everytime my battery changes, that sends the current battery percentage to my gear. Tasker on my gear then stores that battery percentage into a variable and then zooper widget uses that same variable to display the percentage on my gear homescreen.

This is the very thing I was after in my thread in the apps section concerning showing the battery level of the phone onto the gear. Sadly, I'm too stupid with Tasker to figure out how to even accomplish this. Is it possible you could post a tutorial on how to accomplish this?

Reactions: fOmey

CoolNinga2

Mar 12, 2014
Guide

Yeah, could you do a guide, as I don't know how to send variables from Tasker on my phone to the gear and it would be very handy to have on the Gear.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2pyoy2r.png

2dcbc03.png

15zjl03.png

2eoxx8y.png

How are you displaying your phone's battery percentage on the Gear?

That may be so.

2pyoy2r.png

2dcbc03.png

15zjl03.png

2eoxx8y.png

Thanks! Brilliant information.

So dumb question - do I just side load these to the Gear? I will try Novalauncher as I have a custom face via watchstyler.