Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

I rooted my Note 3 on KitKat without tripping Knox, also got voice recording working

OP undeclaredx

10th April 2014, 01:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I just wanted to share that I was able to do it, and without tripping knox.

It was either a miracle, I have a special phone, I have no idea.

What I did:

- Entered ODIN mode
- Flashed CWM recovery for Note 3 (for my exact phone model, Samsung N900W8, it's a Canadian One) -- GENUINELY thought I'd trip Knox, but CF auto root was not working, so this was my option.

This somehow did not trip Knox at all, then all I had to troubleshoot a bit. I tried a few older versions of the SuperSU for CWM package, none of them worked... then finally I found out that these were old versions, I downloaded the 1.89 superSU package for CWM/TWRP, and now I am officially rooted.

Once I booted in, I had to load SuperSu which then said "Do you want to disable KNOX to get root working?" or something to that extent.. At my own risk I did that, still didn't trip the KNOX counter.

Booted up, works, able to use root on a lot of different apps.

I have no idea if it's a miracle it did not trip Knox, if I have a magic phone, etc.. but I thought I'd share.

This is root, not a custom kernel or anything.

Second bit: I was able to get call recording with Call Recorder working as long as I used to CAF (root required) option. No other option worked, not kernel, not with installed Alsa, etc..

If anyone wants any more specific information about my phone, I will gladly share. All I know is knox 0x0 with root is pretty sweet.
10th April 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

22 posts
Was this the first time you rooted your N3? or did it have root on a lower android version?
10th April 2014, 12:08 PM   |  #3  
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 466

1,786 posts
More
N900w8 can be rooted witout triping knox..its already known. ..problem is with n9005 models

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
10th April 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #4  
Flag Eastbourne
Thanks Meter: 79

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfinityoO

N900w8 can be rooted witout triping knox..its already known. ..problem is with n9005 models

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Why don't people include the model number in the title?? As mentioned above, this is known about.

Any chance we can have the forum search button a bit BIGGER so people know where it is!!

I'm fed up with having my hopes raised and then slashed to nothing
Last edited by Mulletmeister; 10th April 2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Expanding my point
10th April 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #5  
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 114

579 posts
More
When you boot into your custom recovery it doesn't say set warranty bit recovery?

Sent from my SM-N9005 beast of a phone.
12th April 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 6

76 posts
aarghhh...
just woke up tp read this.

now have to go back to sleep again.

p.s. please wake me up when there is one.
12th April 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #7  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 609

744 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammath

When you boot into your custom recovery it doesn't say set warranty bit recovery?

Sent from my SM-N9005 beast of a phone.

Mine does (I think.. there's a line of blue text and I can't recall that it says exactly), but in Download mode it shows 0x0.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread