Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Gear with BT LE HR and stride sensors & Null ROM - No phone

OP fm97jco

10th April 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Hi, I'm interested to use the Gear for cycling and running without having to bring my phone with me.

Has anyone tried to install a full fitness app on the gear (MapmyRun of Runkeeper...) and pair with a BT HR strap and a BT stride sensor?

Any recommendations for a fitness app that does not need an internet connection when recording? Other than that - should work right or no?
The Following User Says Thank You to fm97jco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 05:45 AM   |  #2  
O-Town
Thanks Meter: 31

147 posts
No GPS so will not be that useful with out the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
11th April 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
GPS not needed for distance - BT stride sensor can give as accurate as GPS and indoors also... my question can we run a fully installed fitness app on the watch, pair using BT a HR and a stride sensor...and then upload when connected to the hanset after completion..?
12th April 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 359

1,654 posts
If the app supports cloud sync across different devices under the same account then it'll work.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Stride sensor vs pedometer, what's the difference?
12th April 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
A pedometer just counts noumbr of steps. A stride sensor/footpod workiing out ur strides and stride length and therefore distance travelled.
Check a Polar S3 footpod for an example - I cant post a URL here yet. - this is not BT enabled but just for demonstration purposes....Fitness apps have standard profiles for receiving signals from Heart Rate straps and footpods.

The gear is BT4.0 enabled. SO we should be able to pair a HR and footpod. Just need an app that dont need internect connection and should be able to do right?

Data Syn not important really - just nice of possible after thats all...

At present the Gear is useless as a fitness watch - not waterproof, no gps and needs the handset... Hoping the Tizen Gear 2 will have the type of fitness app Im looking for that can operate independent to the phone for running...
12th April 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 359

1,654 posts
I don't think any smartwatch in this or next generation will be officially designed for self-sufficiency. The current focus is notification and senor feedback to the phone.

The Gear 2 like the Gear 1 will require a handler by the smartphone for most of the analysis of the sensor data.

That's where the advantage of the Gear 1's Android OS comes in.

You can make it self-sufficient by installing any Android App directly on it.

With the null rom, you should be able to connect other accessories to it as long as you have an app that supports reading the sensor data.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klau1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread