Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,752 Members 39,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Prevent uninstall of phone locator?

Tip us?

MetalOllie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] Prevent uninstall of phone locator?

Hi,

I've installed AndroidLost on my phone, so I can track it if it gets stolen. The app is hidden from the main app drawer and can't be directly uninstalled.
However, if I go to Device Administrators in the settings, I can deselect the item (which is named Personal Notes in there). Once deselected, it obviously becomes completely useless, and can't administer the phone.

Obviously,doing all of this requires a degree of knowledge, but not all thieves are completely stupid, so would be able to do it.

Is there a way of password protecting the device administrators, so that the app can't be disabled without a pass code? If not, is there an alternative app that can control the phone from a website that can be 100% hidden from view?

Thanks for any suggestions!

eatsleep
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie View Post
Hi,

I've installed AndroidLost on my phone, so I can track it if it gets stolen. The app is hidden from the main app drawer and can't be directly uninstalled.
However, if I go to Device Administrators in the settings, I can deselect the item (which is named Personal Notes in there). Once deselected, it obviously becomes completely useless, and can't administer the phone.

Obviously,doing all of this requires a degree of knowledge, but not all thieves are completely stupid, so would be able to do it.

Is there a way of password protecting the device administrators, so that the app can't be disabled without a pass code? If not, is there an alternative app that can control the phone from a website that can be 100% hidden from view?

Thanks for any suggestions!
You can use some 3rd party apps like audio manager or Avast anti virus to lock down the settings....
Android sometimes proves to be frustrating when it comes to security concerns......
Unused Ram is wasted Ram

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy SIII Gt-i9300
Archidroid 1.7.16
Archikernel 1.3
Twrp 2.7.100
The Following User Says Thank You to eatsleep For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MetalOllie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleep View Post
You can use some 3rd party apps like audio manager or Avast anti virus to lock down the settings....
Android sometimes proves to be frustrating when it comes to security concerns......
Thanks.. I've tried Audio Manager, but that seems to be only capable of hiding the actual app, which the app does by itself. It's preventing someone from unchecking it under Security>Device Administrators that I'm trying to achieve, and unless I'm not using AM properly, I can't find any way of using that to hide it.

eatsleep
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie View Post
Thanks.. I've tried Audio Manager, but that seems to be only capable of hiding the actual app, which the app does by itself. It's preventing someone from unchecking it under Security>Device Administrators that I'm trying to achieve, and unless I'm not using AM properly, I can't find any way of using that to hide it.
You didn't got the point...
Hide or lock the settings..... My friends use this technique.....
Unused Ram is wasted Ram

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy SIII Gt-i9300
Archidroid 1.7.16
Archikernel 1.3
Twrp 2.7.100

MetalOllie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleep View Post
You didn't got the point...
Hide or lock the settings..... My friends use this technique.....
Thanks.. Audio Manager didn't really suit my needs, although it was more or less able to do what I wanted.. In the end I went with an app called AppLock, which puts a passcode on any app, including settings, but also has root capability, preventing it from being uninstalled, closed, etc. it also seems a little slicker.