Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Prevent uninstall of phone locator?

OP MetalOllie

9th April 2014, 08:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Hi,

I've installed AndroidLost on my phone, so I can track it if it gets stolen. The app is hidden from the main app drawer and can't be directly uninstalled.
However, if I go to Device Administrators in the settings, I can deselect the item (which is named Personal Notes in there). Once deselected, it obviously becomes completely useless, and can't administer the phone.

Obviously,doing all of this requires a degree of knowledge, but not all thieves are completely stupid, so would be able to do it.

Is there a way of password protecting the device administrators, so that the app can't be disabled without a pass code? If not, is there an alternative app that can control the phone from a website that can be 100% hidden from view?

Thanks for any suggestions!
9th April 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #2  
eatsleep's Avatar
Senior Member
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ , Where ever's Free WiFi
Thanks Meter: 91
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie

Hi,

I've installed AndroidLost on my phone, so I can track it if it gets stolen. The app is hidden from the main app drawer and can't be directly uninstalled.
However, if I go to Device Administrators in the settings, I can deselect the item (which is named Personal Notes in there). Once deselected, it obviously becomes completely useless, and can't administer the phone.

Obviously,doing all of this requires a degree of knowledge, but not all thieves are completely stupid, so would be able to do it.

Is there a way of password protecting the device administrators, so that the app can't be disabled without a pass code? If not, is there an alternative app that can control the phone from a website that can be 100% hidden from view?

Thanks for any suggestions!

You can use some 3rd party apps like audio manager or Avast anti virus to lock down the settings....
Android sometimes proves to be frustrating when it comes to security concerns......
The Following User Says Thank You to eatsleep For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleep

You can use some 3rd party apps like audio manager or Avast anti virus to lock down the settings....
Android sometimes proves to be frustrating when it comes to security concerns......

Thanks.. I've tried Audio Manager, but that seems to be only capable of hiding the actual app, which the app does by itself. It's preventing someone from unchecking it under Security>Device Administrators that I'm trying to achieve, and unless I'm not using AM properly, I can't find any way of using that to hide it.
10th April 2014, 04:26 PM   |  #4  
eatsleep's Avatar
Senior Member
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ , Where ever's Free WiFi
Thanks Meter: 91
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie

Thanks.. I've tried Audio Manager, but that seems to be only capable of hiding the actual app, which the app does by itself. It's preventing someone from unchecking it under Security>Device Administrators that I'm trying to achieve, and unless I'm not using AM properly, I can't find any way of using that to hide it.

You didn't got the point...
Hide or lock the settings..... My friends use this technique.....
12th April 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleep

You didn't got the point...
Hide or lock the settings..... My friends use this technique.....

Thanks.. Audio Manager didn't really suit my needs, although it was more or less able to do what I wanted.. In the end I went with an app called AppLock, which puts a passcode on any app, including settings, but also has root capability, preventing it from being uninstalled, closed, etc. it also seems a little slicker.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes