Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 45,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Explain ART

Tip us?

Nosrub
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Explain ART

I will be receiving my new S5 Monday and I've saw some people on the forums talking about a thing called ART . What is it? Does it make the phone perform better then usual? I'm sorta new to the forums and I have a little bit of knowledge that involve rooting and such. I'm just looking to learn more.

xgerryx
Old
Thanks Meter 29
This is a pretty good explanation here. http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...rt-of-android/

But It basically goes like this. Dalvik has smaller apps and that open slower. ART transitions those apps into larger files, but they open faster. So ART apps would download slower, but be rendered faster in the tapping of the icon. If I got most of what was said, that's basically it. Unsure of battery implications though.

Nosrub
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerryx View Post
This is a pretty good explanation here. http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...rt-of-android/

But It basically goes like this. Dalvik has smaller apps and that open slower. ART transitions those apps into larger files, but they open faster. So ART apps would download slower, but be rendered faster in the tapping of the icon. If I got most of what was said, that's basically it. Unsure of battery implications though.
So let's say I download the usual apps using ART , those apps will take up more space on my phone but will run and open faster?

natalic
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
how will we decompile them?

xgerryx
Old
Thanks Meter 29
As far as I've read, yes. So with bigger capacity phones the larger files have no consequence and the apps have better functionality.

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app